2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rattle / clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:32 AM
LEELEE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rattle / clunking noise

I had this prob with my girly white S10 truck, turned out it was the stabilizer struts in the front, not an expensive fix, $48 or so per side.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Starting Member
Blazin1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Kyle, what way does the washer go?? I know it goes on the BOLT side but facing what way??? My truck was missing both washers so I bought the pack of 2 from the dealership. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I really do not think it matters, but I always place the top of the cone towards the head of the bolt, then slide the bolt back in place.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Starting Member

cool thanks Kyle. That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No problem!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Starting Member

Wow!!! I can't believe it REALLY works!!! I have a slightly bent rim (which cant be balanced) and at highway speeds it made my truck clunk and clunk and now NOTHING of courseth truckstill shakes but no clunk!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 07:24 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about
Default could have saved $400

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Check your hood hinges. This is a common noise and does sound exactly like a loose shock or bad ball joint, only higher up. It's very difficult to tell the difference.

Toss a rag under the corners of the hood near the hinges. Careful not to wad it up too much and bend the hinge, just enough to put some tension on the hinge bolt. If this stops it, then you'll need to go to the dealership and get two (2) of PN 12383460. Remove the hinge bolts, put the washer onto the bolt and reassemble.
Wow Kyle, I could have saved $400 for a Spicer idler arm & 2 KYB front shocks & installation not to mention the frusterations of ripping around in the dash behind the glovebox, taking speaker covers off & checking bolts etc. I too pushed the electrical block behind the glovebox up with a steel strap & siliconed it in place thinking/hoping THAT was making the rattle . It's so odd the way it sounded, something heavy in plastic, like a speaker rattling in a door or dash. But it makes sence as to why it sounds that way, hinge in below the cowl against the firewall right under the dash & it resounds through all the plastic. thnx for knowledge Kyle.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Beginning Member
VONZIPPIN1K is on a distinguished road

My clunking is coming from the right rear. I swear it is coming from the interior, so I pulled every panel off from the inside and found nothing that could be causing this loud clunk. It only happens at low speeds and sounds like it is coming right from the rear wheel well. Anyone have any ideas on this? I've messed with the exhaust and it is solid and doesn't seem to be causing the noise.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:13 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by VONZIPPIN1K
My clunking is coming from the right rear. I swear it is coming from the interior, so I pulled every panel off from the inside and found nothing that could be causing this loud clunk. It only happens at low speeds and sounds like it is coming right from the rear wheel well. Anyone have any ideas on this? I've messed with the exhaust and it is solid and doesn't seem to be causing the noise.
do you have a swing away tire carrier?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:49 PM
bkw
Beginning Member
bkw is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Yeah, that'll work for a bit, but if you get under your hood often, it'll wear out. I don't like redoing my work. You can get the proper conical washers for under $3 for a 2 pack. To some, that is one less coffee for the week, not exactly expensive...
For posterity, inflation has apparently struck in the last 2 years or so. These washers (12383460) are now $4.38+tax EACH, at least at my dealership here in MI.

I complained about that for awhile until someone said "well, you could pay about $30k for a new truck..."