2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replacement Driver Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Beginning Member
yellow_ZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacement Driver Mirror

Hello All!

I have been searching around this site among others for my answer and have some questions and it seems like you guys are the folks to ask! This is my first post so if I am missing anything let me know... Thanks in advance:

After my blazer (03 ZR2) sat for about a week and a half (was riding my motorcycle) I got in it and the driver-side rear mirror looked weird, however it was daytime and I didn't pay too much attention. The real issue came once night came and I was seeing about 3 - 4 versions of everything, and with lights such as lamp-posts, headlights etc and it was distracting and I need to replace it.

After taking the whole housing off and doing some research (both online and calling my local dealer) it appears the mirror itself is not replacable, and I need to do the whole housing. In also doing some research I have found a huge discrepancy in prices and what I need. The mirror is a heated/powered mirror but I do not believe it has the light-sensitive glass, a Chevy place said they don't believe GM released those mirrors (can someone confirm this?).

So I was looking for people's take on the following:

Chevy branded part they want ~$500 for the part. pretty sure not the light sensitive (pretty high!)

Advance Auto (powered/heated):
K-source $100 http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...49&PTSet=A
**** $90 http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...49&PTSet=A

Auto Parts warehouse (power/heated):
Kool-Vue $58 with shipping: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...l?reviews=true

LMC Truck:
p/n: 29-7148 $70 http://www.lmctruck.com/ICATALOG/CST/full.aspx?Page=118

From the LMC article it looks like 03 didn't have a light sensitive option, but there are some that are more along the lines of the chevy OEM part price...

So what I was curious if anyone had any experience in any of the aftermarket parts or vendors. Obviously advance auto is well known so its probably pretty easy to deal with so i may just go with them but I dunno the LMC vs Kool-Vue vs K-Source vs **** names. I think $500 for this part is a bit high for an OEM.

Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

-garrett

Old 09-24-2008, 03:47 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Replacement Driver Mirror

Yah 500 seems way too high, as long as its your model of mirror with your features it should be fine. I would check with another chevy parts store if you really want the oem one.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Beginning Member

I checked with two stores... thats what they wanted. from two different states too..

I think I will go with a store I know (such as advance), but I was just curious if anyone knew for sure if the light-sensitive mirror was on an 03 ZR2.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

$500 sounds right for a dealer price. The lighted flip down sun visors run $275 a piece from the parts counter..

Just get one from S10 warehouse on Ebay. Or LMC...but I've heard good and bad things about LMC

Old 09-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going with the Kool-Vue from AutoPartsWarehouse. I will let everyone know how it looks/works out.

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Beginning Member

So I went with the Kool-Vue. It looks just like the OEM, however nto quite as good as quality. It does come with the power motor and heating element (haven't been able to test the heating element yet). Only bad things are is that it shakes a bit when really bumpy or on the highway (the motor doesn't hold the mirror quite as good as stock), and the position of the mirror doesn't go in as far as I'd like. Both are minor annoyances and hardly 9x worse than the factory. As for $58 with shipping vs $490 plus shipping I would say I found a winner.

I would recommend it as it definitely works, but maybe someone can find one that is maybe under $100 but isn't as poorly made. Better motor and more positioning would be key. Also the plug was about an 1" short and I had to remove the connector from the door and move it up.

Hope this helps anyone who's looking for one!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Beginning Member

I'd like to edit my last post in saying that you can move the mirror into place. Just took a little bit of negotiating. So the only thing now is that it vibrates a bit more than the stock one. I'd say much better than $500!!!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

you can edit your last post by logging in and you`ll see an edit button where it says reply -quote-fwd at the top of your post window... see it up there yonder??

Old 10-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Beginning Member

ah good call. Didn't look that closely just wanted to give anyone looking all the info they needed.

Thanks!