2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Starting Member
Numba1Sean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default weird problem

ok this only happened once to me and that happened to be today. i started to back up and all the sudden my parking brake light came on for a couple seconds and then turned off. i checked the parking brake and it is fully released, so why would that light come on?

and also i have checked the grounds under the dash for the dome light flicker and headlight flicker and they were tight. seems to be when i first start it up in the morning its worse as far as the strobe show. after driving for a little while the headlights will flicker every 5 to 10 minutes but sometimes less and sometimes more. the dome light will continue to flicker if i turn it on.

any ideas for both these problems would highly be appreciated.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: weird problem

The parking brake light problem sounds like a loose switch or pedal assembly. Can you get the light to come on by wiggling the pedal?

As far as your flickering headlights, it sounds as though the voltage regulator in the alternator has started to malfunction. It is also possible that the rectifier pushing AC voltage into the line.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:33 PM
N2BLAZIN is an unknown quantity at this point

the brake light could very possible be a loose ground at the ABS control unit on the driver side frame rail. I had the same problem with mine.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:35 PM
N2BLAZIN is an unknown quantity at this point

The brake light could be fluid level sensor or the problem on mine was a loose wire shorting to ground on the frame rail right by the ABS control unit on the driver side frame rail.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Starting Member

what would be the switch? and i will have to look for a loose pedal. do you think im getting ac voltage through the alternator which is causing a nasty ripple from the alternator? Swartlkk your the one that told me about the grounds under the dash and i guess i elimnated that lol. yea come to think of it i never had flickering until this new alternator, voltage drops yes but not flickering i guess i will be returning it to db electrical, and maybe go with the ad244 instead of the cs130d. N2blazin i will have to check that too. and sorry forgot to mention this happened when i shifted into reverse to back up and it came on for that couple seconds then went off.

i also seen this wonder if this could be it too. http://www.carquest.com/common/downl...QB%2000-18.pdf

Old 12-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

By switch, I am speaking of the parking brake switch on the parking brake assembly.

I am not sure what exactly is causing your flickering problem, but it is likely caused by the alternator. I have found quite a few other reports about GM vehicles with flickering lights. Some have suggested one of the grounds for the voltage regulator being the fault. Others suggested that the diodes were not producing continuous DC power. What does the voltage read as you are experiencing this problem?

You would definitely know if your ABS was activating.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Starting Member

ok got ya on that one. ok if the headlights, taillights and interior lights are strobing or flickering badly then my voltage guage is moving around alot. and i cant get it to stop unless i rev it up good or really drive it hard down the road. but most of the time the voltage guage will stay normal, but thats when the headlights flicker every 5 to 10 minutes while driving.but also the system will make the voltage dip down pretty low too. but this problem occurs with system off anyway. i even changed the dome light bulb to led and it still does it lol.