2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:57 PM
skitzobmxr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

OWNED haha

Old 12-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So, I thought I'd help out with some more information... This information was current 12/20/2006.
GM/Dex-Cool Class Action Update

Thank you for your recent communication regarding problems with your GM vehicle factory installed with Dex-Cool. We write to update you concerning the status of the class action case.

Multiple federal cases against GM were consolidated in the United States District Court, Southern District of Illinois. The proposed class presently includes all United States consumers who purchased or leased a 1995- 2004 GM vehicle that came factory-equipped with a 3.1-, 3.4-, 3.8-, or 4.3-Liter engine and Dex-Cool in any state other than California, Missouri and Texas (where related state cases are pending).

In February 2006, a hearing was held regarding Plaintiff’s motion for class certification. As we await the Court’s ruling, we are currently conducting discovery, and litigating the state court actions.

In related GM class actions in state courts, a Missouri state court certified a Missouri class and the Missouri Court of Appeals and the Missouri Supreme Court refused GM’s request to appeal.

Our goal is to send out periodic updates by email, but please contact us if you have questions, want information, or have information that you think might be useful to the case. Please save your repair invoices, receipts, correspondence concerning cooling system repairs and any parts you have. You may contact Dylan Hughes at 866.981.4800 or reply to this email address if you have any further questions.

Girard Gibbs llp
601 California Street, Suite 1400
San Francisco, CA 94108
Phone: (415) 981-4800
Fax: (415) 981-4846
www.girardgibbs.com
Let me add that ALL of these engines in the proposed class action lawsuit have known poor intake manifold gasket designs.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:53 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Well GM has deep pockets to cover their asses in some cases. Money influences.

They have the dough to see that the case drags on and ends in their favor.

I have yet to see Dexcool rotout my radiator here in Buffalo, NY though.

Why don't the Asians use this goo?

Old 12-28-2006, 12:09 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lastcoupe!

I can only state my opinion and am too lazy to go search the internet for facts. As if everything on the net is facts to begin with.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:15 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Because they use a different formula to create their own extended life coolant....might even be more like the Prestone brand...

Old 02-28-2007, 07:34 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

If you don't change the green stuff on a regular interval... Doesn't it corrode aluminum? I thought that was the reason GM switched to DEX-COOL in the first place, because they were using aluminum engine parts, and they know a good portion of people are going to be too lazy/stupid to do regular maintenance...

I know a guy who never believed in changing his oil, and only topped it up, and at about 120,000kms his engine siezed...

These days, people expect to never have any problems with anything, and therefore blame the manufacturer, or seller, for any and all problems, and not just with automobiles (they're just discussed more, because they're more expensive).

If all those people that had problems with their dex-cool had been doing PROPER maintenence and inspections, then they would have caught the issue before it became a major problem, and had the trouble spots fixed ON WARRANTY because it's not the coolants fault the owner doesn't look at their vehicle...

The extended life oil thing has been covered, so lets use another comparison... If you buy tires, that have an average EXPECTED life of 50,000 miles, does that mean you never check your air pressure or rotate them?

Old 03-01-2007, 11:03 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

I promised myself I would not come back to this thread anymore, This thread was intended to be an Opinionated Question about Dexcool, It seemed to have started a big debate, with some fighting and name calling, and so on...This was nevermy intenion...We are all here to learn from each other, and by each other's mistake's, As far as what works and what doesn't work. Although nothing will ever change my destructive opinion of dexcool, Only because I have seen the first handdamage itdid to my friend's car's andto me personally. Original Dexcool did not work for me.Remember this is MY OPNION...So if you guy's got any stories about dexcool,GOOD or BAD, please post them.

Someinteresting INFORMATION about Red vs.Green, whichmay shed some light on whydexcool went terribly wrong in some people's radiators.Read it and you be the judge your self???

Old 03-01-2007, 11:41 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

DINO, welcome back!

I went to VT a few weeks back and noticed at the motel my overflow res was empty. The rad was low on coolant too. I found a leak under the rad and have been using the no name brand coolant from Walmart. For $6.00 a jug you cant go wrong. I don't care what I use anymore. I may sell the Blazer summmertime.

I'm going to try that Bar's Leaks "Stop Leak" on it.The product is somewhat working on my 14 yr old radiator on the '93 Ranger. 235,xxx miles on it.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:51 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bar's Leak Worked wonders for me on an old truck I had with a bad leak, And I fully agree with you on the $6.00 a gallon Wal-Mart Anti freeze, That's what I havein mine now...

Old 03-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

An opinionated question is just another way of saying debate. I do regret that some people felt the need to resort to name calling. I myself am guilty of that to a certain extent in my replies to a certain member in this thread.

However, that does not take away from the facts and/or opinions that are laid out in this thread. There is a lot of information to take in.

I would still like to know what the outcome of all of these proposed Class Action lawsuits has been or what the prospects even are for them. Have they been dropped? Are they moving forward and gaining momentum? I posted information above on one class action lawsuit that is being proposed and so far it looks like only Missouri was granted 'Class' status. The rest are pending - mostlikely pending the results of the Missouri case.

There has also been a lot of accusations made against Dexcool. Until valid sources are laid out (testing, etc), these are only FUD.

"It turns into ACID" - Please confirm with appropriate sources.
"It corrodes aluminum" - Sources???

I'm sure there are more, but I don't feel like looking back through everything right now.

Oh and let me just say that the Task character still holds a valid membership here. He was never banned or even PMd any warnings over his antics in this and another thread. He hasn't even logged in since his post here was refuted.

Quick Reply: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL