Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Beginning Member
bando1440 is on a distinguished road

Did anyone ever find out if you can buy the stock support and get them to work? Was mentioned a while back and then forgotten about. Unless I missed something.

Just picked up a carrier yesterday. $25. I sand blasted it and will send it off to be powder coated soon.

I'm having trouble getting the bushings out of the mounts though. Any one have any tips? My MAP torch some prying, and a sledge didn't help. Do the pins pull out? Push through? Can I just cut the heads off where the clips attach and get new pins?

Salvaged from a 2000 2 door LS. Engine, Trains, TCase, and half a drive shaft was sitting in the trunk area.

After sand blast. The cabinate I used bairly fit this thing in. So the mounts never got blaster. Just not enough room to get them.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

Never took my bushings off i dont see why you would want to. And no you can't get the factory support its built into the 2 doors. You wont need the extra support mine held up fine other than be careful how fast you swing it out u can get a dent in the quarter pannel. Lol and make sure its latched its swung out on me a few times when i was driving

Old 03-23-2012, 11:25 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yea they all open sometimes while driving

Mine does it when it snows and it freezes other then that its fine the rest of the time

Old 03-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Beginning Member
bando1440 is on a distinguished road

Because the lower one squeaks something fierce. Other wise I'm gunna dig another one up.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Starting Member
97Beater4WD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 97Beater4WD
So..going back to this....

have we confirmed it is a T55 and T15 socket needed to get the carrier off of a parts truck? I found one for $40 and am going to get it this weekend and DON'T want to bring the wrong tools
So.....this?

Old 03-23-2012, 06:08 PM
420Blazin4X4 is on a distinguished road

The carrier I have sitting in my garage the lower bushing also seems siezed ..Cant get it to swivel at all... Will you keep us posted if you solve this issue..I figured just replace the bushings also..Just havent got around to messing with my carrier yet...
I just thought there was a replacement bushing that could be bought thats why I bought my carrier from another member on here..Hopefully it can be figured out...

Old 03-23-2012, 06:32 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

have you tried shooting it with pb...guessing yes.
when i first bought mine it was the same on the upper...i soaked it for a week and then used a big hammer on it and slowly got it moving...now its perfect.

on a side note you are actually close to me...didnt realize there was another saginaw member on here..

Old 03-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Starting Member
killallblue is on a distinguished road

I don't have the ***** to put it on I'll do any thing else just not that lol

Old 03-23-2012, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by killallblue
I don't have the ***** to put it on I'll do any thing else just not that lol
its not that bad really...only hang up is that it is an undo-able mod.
i dont do very many of those....other one i would love to do is chop the top...now that takes *****!!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Mine has never opened on its own besides 1 time where it was my fault. I left it open, not even near the latch and went to turn and bam it closed on its own! My spare tire carrier is hanging in there like a champ! No extra support needed!

An extra step that not many people seem to take is to put black silicone around the part that doesn't move on the side of the body. This will add some protection from the spare tire carrier moving and also water or anything else sneaking its way to the bolts!

Also, my handle to unlatch the tire carrier took a lot of effort to get open. I wd-40'd the carrier plate cylinder thing where the latch for the tire carrier closes on. And I also wd-40'd the components that move when you press the handle. Now it opens and closes with hardly any effort at all! I say to the people who see it coming unlatched while they drive, close it a little harder! =P

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD