Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Cb radios

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:49 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I had a probably a 10ft fiberglass antena on a van years ago
Even with it mounted on the rear bumper it would touch the sofit in any drive threw LMAO
I cant count the number of times I had the attendant stick their head out the drive threw window to see what all the racket was as I drove up
I had a unit in my car for a long road trip into the US but never a peep , never ever put it in anything else

Old 03-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

I have a pretty good one but right now it isn't in anything. I've used a magnetic mount trunk antenna for a good ground plane to the front. The problem with a magnetic is keeping the SWR tuned. I did have a '98 Crown Victoria that I bought off the original owner. (A local Sheriffs department) On that one, I removed one of the plugs in the body and mounted one on the trunk. Combine a black car (Indiana made me paint it one color, no brown and tan allowed) a spot light and some antennas and you can cruise right through traffic.

Legally, a CB is better at avoiding tickets. Virginia is the only state, along with Canada, to out right ban Radar Detectors. However, I can tell you that if you get caught speeding and have a radar detector, that can be considered proof of prior intent. A CB you mention that you saw a police car, that's freedom of speech. If you mention a police officer on an overpass with a lidar gun, the other drivers have better information than any detector can give.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:49 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i ran the 102 inch whip on my truck when i was younger and that thing was more annoying then anything always hitting stuff. it was bolted to my rear bumper and i found it slide perfectly into the luggage rack so it didnt bang against everything.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:15 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I have a pretty good one but right now it isn't in anything. I've used a magnetic mount trunk antenna for a good ground plane to the front. The problem with a magnetic is keeping the SWR tuned.
i have had a mag mount on my work truck for almost 4 years and have never had to have it re-tunned and i have hit countless drive thru hangovers and low trees and what not. ive been running a Wilson 1000.
just my .02

Old 03-31-2013, 07:06 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

If you don't remove and replace them, they generally stay in tune. I swap from vehicle to vehicle.

In addition, 1/4 wave antennas (102 inch plus the spring mount) usually come with a gutter clip. Granted, not many cars or trucks on the road have rain gutters anymore.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:44 PM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

I run a Connex 3300HP with a Wilson 5000 magnet mount and an Elcan 175 kicker. I also have a five pill Dave Made which I might run if I ever get around to making a spot to ground it on the frame, plus I have to test the draw of it vs. the alternator output.