Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Enclosure design ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:10 AM
vin791 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Enclosure design ideas

i read the first two paragraphs. i read the whole thing again. the facts he listed seemed to back up what i said. his first 2 paragraphs are true. it is a common misconception that all heavy woofers are sloppy and all light woofers are quick. i nevre said that earlier. basically what i'm saying is a 10" woofer and a 12" woofer with the same power to them are going to act differently and the 10" woofer (depending on the build quality, etc) will be lighter, obviously, and have a quicker response. that makes perfect sense. that being said, a 12 or 15 of a good build quality can handle a lot more power than a 10 of the same quality. theyre just 5x the ammount

Old 12-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I didn't read that link, but I don't think woofer size has anything to do with power handling. The motor assembly/coils etc is what takes the power.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:43 AM
vin791 is an unknown quantity at this point

exactly. bigger coil= harder to move with the same power as a smaller coil (that's in that link). plus the weight and air resistance. afterall, that's what is making the sound; the woofer moving the air. but bigger voice coils can handle more power. which can make them just as responsive, depending on enclosure, etc. the difference is the price. most sub-comp level subs are cheaply made, thus bigger= sloppier. especially if you're chosing b/t a 10"l7 vs a 12" l7 but you'll be using the same amp no matter what. the 12" sub (assuming it has a bigger voice coil, obviously 2 subs of the same series, different size; will have different size voice coils)won't sound as good. it might be louder though. i was trying to give general info to someone asking about sound quality of subs as an opinion and it seems other people can't seem to accept that and rather refer links to try to downplay anyones knowledge but their own.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:37 AM
The A Team is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason

Sorry to hear that man, it can be tough that's for sure. Looking forward to headway on it and it should be quite nice. Did you ever tell just how many subs you are going to go with, or is it a surprise?
lol This vin guy is hopeless. That is fine he can believe what he wants to, i am sure he knows what he is doing.

Well the design went from 16 subs down to 12 subs now to make room for more install options. 8 sets of speakers, and 2 mid subs, 20,000 watts ont he subs, and 1200 watts on the front. It will be nice and sound about 10x louder then last years build, but probably wont meter as high. But thats ok as for pure SPL depending on some things i may also have a SS 3-4 build aswell that will be TERRAfing. if you can read between the lines you will know what i am talking about.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:00 AM

For once I do know what you mean. Just don't start too many projects, hah. Dale never gave me pricing on the D3100s, not like I need them now anyways.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:38 AM
The A Team is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya i will be getting 13 powermaster 3100s for Jimbo. Why dont you need then anymore?

Old 12-07-2008, 12:35 PM

I still need new batts, just not like I need them at this moment I meant.