Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

everythings new, doesn't sound great...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:10 PM
jdseibe is on a distinguished road
Default everythings new, doesn't sound great...

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, just bought an 85 s10 blazer.

the first thing I've did to the truck was install new speakers and head unit.

I'll give you guys detailed info about the speakers and head unit here in a sec. but let me tell you the problem first. the front 4x6's sound fine, but they overpower the sound of the back speakers when i have the fade set to the center, I have to fade the speakers pretty far to the back to make it sound even. also if the bass is up and the fade is set too close to the front, the front speakers bass sound overpowers the rear 6x9's and makes the whole setup sound funny.

so i have the fade set pretty far back to the back, and setting back there with a song that has decent bass, the sound is distorted, as if the speakers are overpowered or something, so i have to turn the bass down, then it sounds alright.

so I guess im wondering if maybe the speakers arent getting enough power or what, i dunno maybe i dont have it setup right, or maybe i need an amp, let me see what you guys think.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH2100IB SCD
  • MOSFET 50w x 4
  • Continuous Power Output 22W x 4
Front Speakers: JVC CS-V4625 4x6-Inch 2-Way Coaxial Speakers
  • Frequency Response: 28Hz-25,000Hz
  • Power Handling Capacity (Nom.): 20W
  • Power Handling Capacity (Max. music power): 130W
  • Impedance: 4 ohms
  • Sound Pressure Level: 86 dB/W.m
  • Crossover Frequency: 5 kHz
Rear Speakers: MTX Audio MTX-XT693 6x9 3-Way Coaxial Speaker
  • Impedance 4 Ohm
  • Frequency Response 50Hz-20kHz
  • Power (RMS) 42W
  • Peak Music Power 84W
  • Sensitivity @ 2.83V 89dB
the weird thing about these mtx speakers is that they say 320 watts on the box?

anyways, any help would be appreciated, im thinking a small amp might help?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I've heard of speakers being wired backwards and sounding like ****... try flipping the wires around on the rear speakers and see if that helps.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:29 PM
jdseibe is on a distinguished road

ok, ill try that...

I gotta say.. your sig is pretty awesome.. its funny tho.. I own stormtrooper armor.. so it made me smile.. lol

this is me about to drink a jager bomb lol

Attached Thumbnails everythings new, doesn't sound great...-1104082201.jpg  
Old 10-06-2009, 10:36 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

lmao, I got over the sig though, I just finished another one. Nice armour btw.

Let us know how the speaker issue turns out.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:35 PM
blazin_j is on a distinguished road

Yeah it def. sounds like a wiring issue. Did you use a harness or just splice wires together? Sound should be balanced, and the reason why your back speakers are distorting from bass either means you've wired something backwards or your under powering them. There are many factors that can effect the quality of sound, especially in automotive sound.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:41 PM
sporty_drew is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jdseibe
the front 4x6's sound fine, but they overpower the sound of the back speakers when i have the fade set to the center, I have to fade the speakers pretty far to the back to make it sound even. also if the bass is up and the fade is set too close to the front, the front speakers bass sound overpowers the rear 6x9's and makes the whole setup sound funny.
Your back speakers have a higher rms then your headunit so that is the main reason that the fronts will seem about twice as loud as the rears.

so i have the fade set pretty far back to the back, and setting back there with a song that has decent bass, the sound is distorted, as if the speakers are overpowered or something, so i have to turn the bass down, then it sounds alright.
Your biggest problem is that you're trying to have your speakers reproduce "bass" frequencies. I don't know if your cd player has crossover settings or not, but messing with those would help.

so I guess im wondering if maybe the speakers arent getting enough power or what, i dunno maybe i dont have it setup right, or maybe i need an amp, let me see what you guys think.
If you want to be able to give the rear speakers the amount of power that they will be most happy with I would get an amp. If you decide to get one I would get a four channel for the fronts and rears.

If it were my setup I wouldn't spend the money on a speaker amp yet. I would put in a sub(s) setup and take out the rear speakers. With this setup you would be able have your front speakers set for ~80hz and up while having your sub(s) set at ~80hz and lower. This would help you with your destorting and you will still have your "bass". I think that you will find that this will greatly improve what you're hearing.

the weird thing about these mtx speakers is that they say 320 watts on the box?
That is the advertised peak amount of power they can handle for a very small time, I'm not sure on how long that is because I believe it can change on how the manufacture tests them.

I hope some of this helps.