2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

This doesn't sound good...!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Beginning Member
Adanac845 is on a distinguished road
Default This doesn't sound good...!

Doing a long road trip last night and was slowing down when I heard a 'gwad awful' noise coming from the right wheel area. As I slowed the noise grew louder and louder. It sounded as if something was grinding but in a very rhythmic way. At slow speeds it was a deep almost ticking sound.

I know it is not the bearing as I had it replaced less than a month ago. I then tried shifting from 2wd to 4 and the sound went away! But as I sped up a slight vibration could be felt from the same wheel. I took it out of 4x4 and the sound returned. I stopped and put the truck in reverse, drive, 4x4, 2wd with no end to the sound unless I was in 4x4. Finally I drove around in 4x4 for about 2-3 mins and on the fly, selected 2wd. There were two noticeable 'clunks' as the front drive disengaged and the sound was gone.

So my question to is WTF? What is going on here?

I just replaced my right bearing, two lower ball joints, and my clutch in the last month. I can already feel my wallet kicking me in the ****! Please tell me this is something that is an easy fix or do I need to take Ol' Blue out back and put her out of her pain?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Cheers,

Ian.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Starting Member
Frankiesurf is on a distinguished road

What year is your truck?

Old 07-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Beginning Member

2000 2dr 4x4.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:52 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I know you didn't say 'clicking' but this covers not fully disengaging 4wd:

4wd Front Axle Clicking When in 2HI - Goes Away when in 4HI/4LO

I recently did some troubleshooting and found that my actuator cable was seized and my the check ball or valve or whatever it is on the transfer case switch was stuck open. I also had vacuum at the actuator with the truck running and in 2HI.

I disconnected the cable and sprayed some WD40 and returned it to operation. I also replaced the transfer case switch. These corrected the vacuum in 2HI, but I still have a bearing type noise similar to what you're describing.

I have some more troubleshooting to do, but wanted to point you to that helpful thread.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Beginning Member

Clicking could be considered loud ticking or even grinding. I did another road trip (900+km) yesterday with out any issue. However while sitting at the drive threw window with the truck out of gear and idling, I could hear a 'rattling' sound when the truck was at a very low idle. Not sure if this is symptamatic of the same thing or not?

As for the link to the other thread, thanks. Most of what is stated is beyond my 'wrenching' skills. But I am in the know of peoples that are.