Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Factory Receiver hook up?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Mange98 is on a distinguished road
Default Factory Receiver hook up?

Ok, i just bought my subs and waiting on my amp to be delivered, but i was wondering, can i hook up my amp to my factory receiver or do i HAVE to go aftermarket? Just trying to see what my options are since i'm in the money saving business Thanks!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mange98
Ok, i just bought my subs and waiting on my amp to be delivered, but i was wondering, can i hook up my amp to my factory receiver or do i HAVE to go aftermarket? Just trying to see what my options are since i'm in the money saving business Thanks!
You should be able to connect to your factory radio. The stock unit only outputs a high-level signal and most (all?) amplifiers require a low-level signal. You can use a Line-out converter to convert the signal from the factory radio to what the amp needs.

Aftermarket receivers typically have better sound quality and offer greater control over the signal. Most of them will also accept MP3 CDs and make it easier to connect an auxiliary device like a cell phone, USB drive or iPod.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:30 PM

ok, and a line-out converter, how much do one of those typically cost?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:48 AM

Well, i've decided to be smart about this and go with a JVC head unit, but now what i'm wondering is how much would somewhere like Norton Stereo charge to hook all my stuff up? I've never done this before and i'm not risking screwing something up, so i'd rather pay out and get it done right the first time, i just need to know what to expect.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:23 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point

it all depends bro, when I worked at a shop they charged like 40 bucks just to install the deck. We never installed a system there though without the people buying the stuff from us that was being installed so I dunno about what a normal price for that would be. If I had to gues you will be looking at like 100 bucks or so. They only reason I say this is because a deck is an easy and quick install and we charged 40 so a sub and amp install has to be at least 100 I would think. Just call them bro and I am sure they would tell you over the phone.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 PM

Ok, thank you. So it probably wouldn't be like $300 or something i guess? I know i sound like a total newb by asking that, but like i said before, i've never really done anything like this, and have no clue about anything to do with this kind stuff, so i really appreciate everyone's feedback.