Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Issues with removing dash to replace factory stereo in 96 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 01:38 PM
chase91 is on a distinguished road
Default Issues with removing dash to replace factory stereo in 96 Blazer

I can not figure out an easy way to remove the dash out of my 96 Blazer to get the stereo out. I know with some force and the possibility of braking some stuff I can get it out but who knows if I can get it back in. Everything is fine until you get to getting the dash around the steering column. I know in the later model Blazers they made this much easier. If somebody has some pointers that would be great because I really don't want to pay someone $65 to install my stereo when I am more than able to do it but this dash with be the death of me!

Old 10-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

You will have to use some force to get it out. Make where your tilt column is all the way down. Disconnect all plugs once you get it popped off. I've had mine out a few times and it just takes a little bit of force.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:09 PM
chase91 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Steve-o
You will have to use some force to get it out. Make where your tilt column is all the way down. Disconnect all plugs once you get it popped off. I've had mine out a few times and it just takes a little bit of force.
How was putting it back in? I figured I could get it out but once it comes out from behind the gear shift I'm afraid I will brake it putting it back in.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

Putting it back in was easier IMO. Just Put the ebrake on and put the colum shifter all the way in first when taking it out.. Doing it the first time you think every noise is something breaking. Idk how many times I was like "oh ****" turned out just fine. If need be go to a junk yard/pull apart and try taking one out there first.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Popdedop is on a distinguished road

He is right, i have removed mine multiple times and nothing has broken yet, except for a pin on the rear windshield wiper button, i would suggest to put something in front or behind a tire just in case, i put a brick in front on mine, but you should be alright