Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

A little problem with my sub box...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:49 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A little problem with my sub box...

Okay so I was just looking at my box and remember something. The box has a nice crack in it right by one of the holes. Everytime I try to take the box into Circuit City where I bought it from, the site says it's sold out, so I've been holding back from bringing it in and showing them. I should've taken it in sooner but when I saw that they weren't in stock I figured there's no point in hauling this thing into my truck, bringing it to Circuit City and have them saying "There's nothing we can do until we get more in stock". I ordered the sub online from the site, when it got here it I thought it was just a faint crack that looked like it was just at the surface of the paint. But I left it sitting in the box, now I just checked my local Circuit City and it still says none in stock. I just took another look at it and sure enough it's worse than I thought. It goes completely through the wood. I've had the sub in the box since I got it a few weeks ago and only took it out once, but I know for sure it was like this on arrival. I'm about to bring it to the store tomorrow regardless if they have it or not. They didn't have it in a month ago when I went to buy it and they still don't. I'm not even sure if the stores carry this box.
Here's a picture of the crack..

Old 04-03-2008, 06:45 AM
wmartinlsmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: A little problem with my sub box...

Eff that.. I'd be all over taking it back to them.. In stock or not, go get your money back.

there are a million other places to get better boxes cheaper.. Have you tried your local car audio shop? Alot.. I mean ALOT of them use pre fabbed boxes that are dirt cheap..

Old 04-03-2008, 06:50 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Ask to speak to the installation manager in car audio. Most of the time the guys actually selling the car audio stuff in store don't know one thing from another (I work in PCs and they stick me back there half the time to just provide floor coverage). The install manager though, had to have started out selling, moved to install, then up to manager (hopefully).

And if it's out of stock that long on the website, it can mean two things...1)it's in stock, and there's just an inventory issue with the store communicating to headquarters...or 2) it's a special order item only, and you just have to go into the store and request it.

But yes..there definitely are cheaper ways to get a sub box, or pay the same amount, and get a better one than retail [:-]

Old 04-03-2008, 09:52 AM

I've talked to all the guys at Circuit City. None of them really seem experienced. I'm guessing the installation guys have to know atleast a thing or two, the problem is I don't think any of them speak english.. but there's usually a guy who knows what he's talking about. If I got my money back on the box, I'd just check out another place. My friend has a really nice MTX Bass Slammer box with a black plastic cover on the front, it's kinda glossy. I'd like to get that box but his is for 10" subs. I want to find them in 12" ported. There's a local place near me that's supposidly really good called Sound Conept. I saw them online then my friend told me to go there because he knows the people and they're really good. I was gonna take everything there once I had it and let them install it because they did such a professional job installing his and he has a 4runner, so they'd probably do the same thing to my Blazer. I'd take the box there right now but I haven't gone to sleep yet and I have work at 5 [&:]
I don't have work until 5PM tomorrow but I doubt I'll even be awake until probably 4:30PM...I'm working an early shift on Saturday though and I get out at 4, so that's the perfect time for me to haul this box up there and show them. Then I can go check out some better boxes.
I still wanna talk to another audio shop before my installation to see if this is gonna be running too high of a load, and see if I should up the big 3. I'd like to see how fast my voltage flies down and the truck dies after 1 bump of the subs.

Oh yeah, and WolfPack, do you have a lift for your 30's?

Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

You should check out some of Cloak One's stuff. I'd rather get my money's worth than buying another pre-fab box that's going to crack again.

http://www.cloakone.com/

And I've got 1.25/1.5 to clear the 30x10.50s The lift was needed for the 10.50 side of things, not the 30. Also my rims are 4.5' of backspace which puts it closer to the fenders at turns, further neccessitating the lift. Click my ROTM box over there for more info --------> (then up at the top)

Old 04-03-2008, 12:54 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

DO NOT BUY A PREFAB... THATS WHAT HAPPENS!!

Build your own, its easy, very cost effective and you can build it to fit right. As for cloak1, I cannot personally speak for his quality, but the prices seem OK maybe a little high for my region.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:23 AM

I was thinking about building my own box, the only problem is I don't have time to do it. I have class during the mornings, and I work nights. Weekends I work 'round the clock basically waking up until late at night. At first I thought Cloak was pricey until I ended up spending the same about on a box myself. My first step closer to anything of a new box is getting my money back on this one! Then I'm gonna hit up some local shops that I've never bothered checking out and seeing if they have some good boxes. My friend has the MTX Sledgehammer with ports. It's a nice looking box and I'd like to get one for myself and throw my Alpines in it. The dual 12" box has 2 ports which is an advantage, and tweeters on each side. Overall it's just a nice looking box, with a glossy plastic front and it looks tough enough. The box I have now isn't that bad looking though. There's a tag on the side of the cardboard box saying they were in the factory since 2007, so who knows how many times the box was banged around or even dropped carelessly. I'm gonna order my Cadence amps today though. I wanna start flexing my windows real soon!