Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

New sub box same subs and amp

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:37 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Wow that was a fast build. I have to ask though, what are the specifications on the enclosure? It's VERY important to know exactly what they are or else you could end up in/with the exact same issues that prompted you to post this thread in the first place.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Jasongr81 is on a distinguished road

Attached Thumbnails New sub box same subs and amp-picture360.jpg   New sub box same subs and amp-picture342.jpg   New sub box same subs and amp-picture343.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Jasongr81 is on a distinguished road

The black box is the one I just had built. The dimensions of the is 36x14.5x24. The other I took the front panel off and only had 1 sub in it and it sounded better than 2 with the front panel on. I probably need to put 2 more ports in on the back or port the front when I put the panel back on? What do you think?

Old 08-07-2013, 08:24 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jasongr81
The black box is the one I just had built. The dimensions of the is 36x14.5x24. The other I took the front panel off and only had 1 sub in it and it sounded better than 2 with the front panel on. I probably need to put 2 more ports in on the back or port the front when I put the panel back on? What do you think?
Well, I can't tell you what the new one is tuned to without knowing the dimensions of the port. However, just by looking at it and calculating the GROSS volume (5.39cuft BTW) I can say with a fair amount of confidence, unless the port is extremely short, that it should be tuned better and sound better than any other enclosure you've used so far.

DO NOT put any more ports in that box, you will only make it worse. The reason it sounded better with just one sub is that it was playing in what was effectively a larger enclosure (because it was playing in there alone) which lowered the tuning as well as gave it a much larger space to play in. Larger enclosures with lower tuning result in a smoother response and that is basically why it sounded so much better. More port area wouldn't hurt for that enclosure, but if it's not done correctly it would only make the results worse.

I would forget that box, unless you really do want to save it for something, and focus on the new one. It looks as though it was built correctly and if you can get the dimensions of the port (the width and length, I already know the height) I can tell you with certainty what the NET volume and tuning is.