Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Is this setup compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:04 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default Is this setup compatible?

Hey everyone, I already have this Dual headunit and these JVC speakers. But was going to add a sub and an amp to complete everything. I want some thump and I wanted the speakers to sound a bit better so I was interested in a 5 channel amp that runs everything. Keep in mind the headunit and the speakers aren't installed yet. Would this be a compatible setup?

Dual headunit (17 rms x 4) Dual headunit (17 rms x 4)
JVC 6.5 inch speakers (front and back) (40 rms) JVC 6.5 inch speakers (front and back) (40 rms)
Power Acoustik 10 inch sub (500 rms)
New Concept 5 channel amp

What do you think?

Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

It should, but the question is weather or not the HU has RCA outputs for the front rear and sub channels. (I doubt it.) And if it doesn't, does the amp have high level inputs. (Also questionable, but more likely than the HU having the outputs.) If both don't, then you will need adapters and it probably won't sound as clean. Then, if that all works, you need to make sure you don't play the door speakers crazy loud or you can fry them.

Other than all that, it should be compatible.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:00 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I looked up the info on that HU, and it does have front, rear and subwoofer outputs. Remember you'll need to run 3 sets of RCA's to the rear to use all those outputs/inputs correctly. Otherwise, yeah, everything listed there should work just fine together. I would check out Knukonceptz for the amp kit and the extra RCA's you'll need for all six channels. Their 4AWG KCA 4 channel kit plus two more of the EKO RCA's would be the highest quality wires for the least amount of money you could get for the amp and run all the channels at once doing so.

I'm curious though as to your total budget, how much are you wanting to spend on all of it? It sure seems like if you could go just another $100 more or so and get some higher quality equipment that will last you longer. I'd be glad to help you look for some better options whether you could stand to spend a few more dollars or not.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
I looked up the info on that HU, and it does have front, rear and subwoofer outputs. Remember you'll need to run 3 sets of RCA's to the rear to use all those outputs/inputs correctly. Otherwise, yeah, everything listed there should work just fine together. I would check out Knukonceptz for the amp kit and the extra RCA's you'll need for all six channels. Their 4AWG KCA 4 channel kit plus two more of the EKO RCA's would be the highest quality wires for the least amount of money you could get for the amp and run all the channels at once doing so.

I'm curious though as to your total budget, how much are you wanting to spend on all of it? It sure seems like if you could go just another $100 more or so and get some higher quality equipment that will last you longer. I'd be glad to help you look for some better options whether you could stand to spend a few more dollars or not.
Actually, that's a really good deal on the amp kit and rca's! I'm glad you found that for me! And as of now, I only have the hu and 2 pairs of 6.5 inch speakers in my possession. I haven't bought the sub+enclosure and amp because I've been trying to do some research on what exactly to get. Is it really worth it to amplify the speakers? That's the only reason why I was looking at getting a 5 channel amp. For all 4 speakers and the sub. What do you think I should do here? Any suggestions on an amp or sub+enclosure if you don't think my setup is sufficient?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by tibby
Actually, that's a really good deal on the amp kit and rca's! I'm glad you found that for me! And as of now, I only have the hu and 2 pairs of 6.5 inch speakers in my possession. I haven't bought the sub+enclosure and amp because I've been trying to do some research on what exactly to get. Is it really worth it to amplify the speakers? That's the only reason why I was looking at getting a 5 channel amp. For all 4 speakers and the sub. What do you think I should do here? Any suggestions on an amp or sub+enclosure if you don't think my setup is sufficient?
You're welcome. I've been using Knukonceptz for years and have had great luck with all their products.

Yes, I believe it's well worth the trouble. A HU is SOOO limited on how much power it can deliver cleanly to speakers. I can type for several paragraphs on the how and why that is. The simplest way I can think to explain it that the HU will loose steam long before an amp will. The speakers can get louder and sound much clearer and more detailed on an amp.

You still never mentioned a budget, but that PA sub will probably be pretty pathetic in that sealed enclosure. If you could spare another $30 you could get this Boston Acoustics tuned system and probably be much happier with it.

If you can build your own enclosure, using the design in richphotos thread about a new box would work well for you as well and I could recommend a REALLY nice sub for it for about $125.

I'm going to look around a little more on the 5 channel amps too. I got my sister's Cadence for about $150 and it's been a great amp. I've never heard of "Concept" but from what I've seen they look like just another cheap Chinese brand to me like Power Acoustik, Boss, Pyramid, Pyle, etc. All brands to try to stay away from in most cases.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Default .

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
You're welcome. I've been using Knukonceptz for years and have had great luck with all their products.

Yes, I believe it's well worth the trouble. A HU is SOOO limited on how much power it can deliver cleanly to speakers. I can type for several paragraphs on the how and why that is. The simplest way I can think to explain it that the HU will loose steam long before an amp will. The speakers can get louder and sound much clearer and more detailed on an amp.

You still never mentioned a budget, but that PA sub will probably be pretty pathetic in that sealed enclosure. If you could spare another $30 you could get this Boston Acoustics tuned system and probably be much happier with it.

If you can build your own enclosure, using the design in richphotos thread about a new box would work well for you as well and I could recommend a REALLY nice sub for it for about $125.

I'm going to look around a little more on the 5 channel amps too. I got my sister's Cadence for about $150 and it's been a great amp. I've never heard of "Concept" but from what I've seen they look like just another cheap Chinese brand to me like Power Acoustik, Boss, Pyramid, Pyle, etc. All brands to try to stay away from in most cases.
Well the subs and amp together I'm looking at around $200 or $300. I'd like to stay on the lower end of this figure though. I want something with a bit of a boom and to amplify speakers. I don't need for the whole car to rattle or for people to hear it for miles down the street. That figure is just for the amp and subs.

And I don't see his post on building the box. How hard would this be?

Why would you think the sub I listed wouldn't be good? It was rated at 500 rms which is decent in my book. Unless you think they overrated that rms number?

Last edited by tibby; 12-11-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:27 PM

Here's the thread on his box. There's a little discussion there on building, but mainly I referenced it for the design. Building an enclosure isn't too hard to do if you have basic wood working skills. Like anything else, it takes patience and time.

$200 to $300 is pretty tight for a sub, enclosure and amp, even if the amp wasn't a 5 channel. You might be able to use a 4 channel. Connecting two of the channels to the front speakers and bridging the remaining two on a sub. Then running the rear speakers on the HU. This would be doable as the rear speakers are meant to be played at the same output level as the fronts.

The sub may be rated at 500 watts, but the amp is only rated 360 @ 2 ohms. Power Acoustik is notorious for over rating everything they sell. Not to mention R&D on their products is non existent. Like many manufacturers they go to a Chinese build house and buy a mass number of some product that meets some basic specification they ask for. Many time the specifications and ratings are so far off it's a joke to even post them. I've measured a few of their subs T/S specs with my WooferTester and found them to not even be in the same country, let alone in the ball park.

richphotos can tell you his thoughts on his PA sub that he's using. The output from the sealed enclosure it was given to him in was puny which is why he started the aforementioned thread about a custom enclosure. While he's gained a great deal of output with the ported enclosure he can tell it's not very detailed or accurate. Both of which are problems for a person who enjoys their music. If a person just wants to go BOOM as loud as possible it can provide a means to an end for that cheaper than brands who care about the products they produce and sell. Companies that care charge more for their products because they use better materials and parts, put lots of time into research and deveopement, and basically do all they can to ensure the product is worthy of the price they're charging and typically have much better customer service. They do that because they know if a customer is truly happy with it they'll come back again and again.

So yeah, that sub may be rated 500wrms, but power rating is not something you should judge the value of a product by. I would put money on the fact the sub I mentioned for $125, which is rated a mere 300wrms, would stomp that PA sub out of existence on output and definitely on the quality of sound and reliability.