Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Sirius XM Subscribers

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Beginning Member
swizznuker is on a distinguished road
Default Sirius XM Subscribers

Hey All:

For months I have struggled to figure out a place to mount the my satellite radio. I have a unit that requires a dock, like an iPod. Does anyone else have satellite radio in their trucks?

After planning and deliberation, I have found a brilliant way to place the radio inconspicuously, deterring would-be thieves. Most satellite radios are the same size, and as a matter-of-fact for those that listen to iPods in their trucks this is a great way to hide the iPod as well.

The overhead console has a few storage spaces, but one of them is the garage remote holder. I accidentally broke one hinge on the door to access the spot which holds the remote, and a lightbulb flashed over my head...how can the radio get in there?

I will take pictures of the work, but its not hard at all, as anyone would expect, just removing some panels and the center console. I hid all the wires behind the radio and the glove box. there is a ton of wiring because the satellite radio has a hookup to the regular radio antenna to bypass the tuner and hone in on signal. Also, I needed to extend the power cable running to the dock, which required a stop to radio shack. A longer Satellite antenna, and thats it!

Old 08-15-2010, 03:38 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Thats a very good idea. We need pics though!!

It wouldn't work for us without the overhead console though. My satellite radio just suctioned to the window in the left corner on the driver side. It was kind of in the way, but not horrible.

Speaking of it, anyone want to buy mine?

Old 08-15-2010, 04:52 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Mine's freakin double sided taped on the dash over my radio... sort of out in the open for "would be thieves" but my face plate and sat-radio unit both come out at night

Old 08-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Beginning Member
swizznuker is on a distinguished road

Although I should have taken the pictures while doing the work, here they are. The antenna is where I started, it is magnetized to the top of the truck on the drivers side, right above the door. The wire comes in at the pillar and runs inside the weather stripping down until it reaches the fuse box. I ran the wire through the fuse box, behind the panel you have to take off to remove or install the radio.

I got it in behind the radio and kept running it to the passenger's side, behind the glove box. At that point I taped it to the power adapter, and the direct signal antenna booster and ran all three of them together.

Thats when I had to take off the speaker grille so i could run the wire under the plastic trim over the passenger's side pillar. up the length of that all three wires went, and in under the headliner. I ran them under the headliner back towards driver's side and unscrewed the overhead console. the hole in the headliner for the console helped a bunch as all I had to do was get them to where the garage remote holder would be.

Then I screwed back all the panels, including the overhead console, and used the original velcro tape that was there courtesy of GM for the garage remote. I stuck one side of the velcro tape to the dock so I could remove it if I had to. I plugged the three wires into the dock, velcroed it and put the door back on.

Voila! Hidden Satellite Radio!!

Attached Thumbnails Sirius XM Subscribers-dsc04546.jpg   Sirius XM Subscribers-dsc04544.jpg   Sirius XM Subscribers-dsc04543.jpg   Sirius XM Subscribers-dsc04542.jpg   Sirius XM Subscribers-dsc04540.jpg  

Last edited by swizznuker; 08-17-2010 at 02:27 AM.