Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Stereo on after key turns off

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Beginning Member
bricooper78 is on a distinguished road
Default Stereo on after key turns off

First, I'm sorry I don't know what that function is actually called lol

98 jimmy slt--- i've only had it a couple months, and the stock stereo shut off with the key, which i took as it just wasn't new enough to have the option for the stereo to stay on when you kill the motor like my 01 grand am.

then, it did. just one day, i'd shut off the truck, and realized i had radio still. so i jiggled the key, turned on to accessory, back down, and it shut off.

I just put my aftermarket deck in about a week ago, and have had it do the same thing, sometimes it stays on, sometimes it doesn't.

Neither one fail to shut off when the door is open, so it acts like my car, but it doesn't work all the time.

I don't have a clue what controls this, or where it is. it's not a huge issue, but i'd at least like to know something about it.

side note, not sure if it matters: the truck has a remote start, which i do not have key fobs for. haven't had time off work to tear into it to find the box, so i have no idea what i've got lurking in the dashboard.. i wonder if that has anything to do with my little issue.

any ideas?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:45 PM
247monster will become famous soon enough

i ran into a the same issue and i just took the cheater way out and put a manual switch shutting off and on my radio but i would look more at your ignition then the radio becuse i might not be getting connection telling it to turn of or to turn on when its supost to do i wish i would have though of that before i put my switch in. thats what i figured mine did..or still does really so before you go ripping you dash apart tracing wires maybe check that out ...cant hurt lol
good luck!!

Last edited by 247monster; 03-07-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: mistype
Old 03-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Starting Member
99bblazer99 is on a distinguished road

on mine it stays on to until i open the door then it goes off. that or you could have the ignition wire hooked up to the actual power wire thus keeping the stereo on.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:42 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Lot of confusion here.
So in all 3 instances, the radio MAY remain on until the door is opened. In all cases if radio is on, it DOES go off when door opened. It should. If the radio goes off when engine shut down while door not opened, that is the fault symptom.

That is a feature known as 'Retained Accessory Power', RAP. Note it also allows windows and sunroof to be closed after key off. So check that too, if radio goes off.

I checked mine. Cycling from run to off to accy to run to off had no effect. Radio stayed on.

If it sometimes works and sometimes doesnt I would look for other oddities in features controlled by the Body Control Module {or Body Relay Module}.

I suspect a flaky under dash ground point or a loose/bad relay. Or perhaps a poor door switch connection. MAY be the case if your courtesy lights act weird, too.

I dont THINK a flaky accessory contacts in ignition switch would cause it but wouldnt rule it out.

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-08-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Starting Member
MakeMineAV8 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bricooper78
First, I'm sorry I don't know what that function is actually called lol

98 jimmy slt--- i've only had it a couple months, and the stock stereo shut off with the key, which i took as it just wasn't new enough to have the option for the stereo to stay on when you kill the motor like my 01 grand am.

then, it did. just one day, i'd shut off the truck, and realized i had radio still. so i jiggled the key, turned on to accessory, back down, and it shut off.

I just put my aftermarket deck in about a week ago, and have had it do the same thing, sometimes it stays on, sometimes it doesn't.

Neither one fail to shut off when the door is open, so it acts like my car, but it doesn't work all the time.

I don't have a clue what controls this, or where it is. it's not a huge issue, but i'd like to understand something about it.

plus a side note, not sure if it matters: the truck has a remote start, which i do not have key fobs for. haven't had time off work to tear into it to find the box, so i have no idea what i've got lurking in the dashboard.. i wonder if that has anything to do with my little issue.

any ideas?
Cool if you can get it to stay that way permanently. Please update this is you figure out how to keep the radio on after you turn off the key, and how you did it. And please make it so a numbskull like me can understand. Thanks!

Just to clarify: can you get it to stay on even if you open or close the door, and even better, if you remove the key? The key removal is probably asking too much.

Last edited by MakeMineAV8; 03-12-2012 at 10:06 AM.