Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Subs under rear seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zedartwo
Well what is your price range. I could suggest a dual sub for like $30 but its gonna sound like crap! Pioneer has good ones at like $150-$200 or the MB Quart is supposed to be really good with lows. eBay has them for $90. Kicker is the only reputable company who have an 8" shallow mount.

You could also get like 40 Funky Pups (google it)
Actually, I binged it. I hear Al Gore invented Funky Pups and Funky Pups invented the internet. Given that I'm not a big fan of Mr. VP, I think I'll look for something that is actually in production. But thanks anyway.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Starting Member
DSMayo is on a distinguished road

If you're looking for fuller sound and not necessarily more base, have you considered putting component speakers in the front and rear then amp them? It would save you the huge headache of trying to fit 8" speakers under the seats..

Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

What about building a box or buying one for one eight inch woofer, and mounting it high up on the back of the rear seat. Then you have cargo area underneath, and with the seats folded down there would only be a small box right next to the top of the back of the seats. And if it's mounted off to the side, it would be behind the front seats when the back seats are folded down and not eat up much cargo area. Wouldn't weigh much so it would be easy to mount it to the back of the seat. Maybe make some brackets to mount it to to make it a bit sturdier.

That just popped in my head and I thought it could work.
You could even vent the box downwards, toward the sid or like most towards the rear for more sound. But I figure a sealed box would work fairly well givin your music taste.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Starting Member

Screwed, that may be a possibility. I do tend to like the stealth of under the seats though. And DSMayo, I intend to upgrade the entire system between now and July. The subs, I think, would be the toughest from a logistics standpoint so I was starting with them. I don't want to get everything else in and have to settle.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Starting Member
sifd4x4 is on a distinguished road

i sort of like screwed's idea also but im not sure how well they would hold up there. If your only looking at one sub then why not look at the JL stealth box. And if its over your budget you could always build a custom box in the same space and not take up much room.

I put a few extra feet of wire from the amp to my sub, the extra wire stays tucked under the seats but when I want to lay the seats down I can move the box all the way to the back of the front seat.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 AM

Yeah I was thinking you'd have to run a bracket the height of the seat to disperse the weight some so the anchoring bolts or screws wouldn't strip or back out. I did that with some 6x9's in my old 318ti. The stealth box in the side is a good idea, only thing is they run kinda pricey. But then agian the do have a good bit of angles and cutting involved in building them. We WILL get this figured out! lol

Old 04-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Starting Member

I really like the stealth box, but I wonder if I wouldn't lose most of the sound when the cargo area was full. I know lows are not very directional, and I have heard that JL subs are some of the best sounding out there, so this is a very distinct option.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:59 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Thats what you want in non-directional. Bass is heard from all around whereas treble and mid are directional and optimal listening is with the speaker faced directly at your face. As for losing sound, I think it would be minimal. Even fully loaded I think you will still hear is good!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 AM

Yeah fully loaded you'd be fine. Now if it was vented and something was agianst the vent ya it could muffle it some. One good thing about most stealth boxes is they have a mesh or other means of covering the sub. That way your cargo doesn't shift and damage the sub while driving.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Starting Member

Sounds like I have a course of action. Thanks everyone. Great ideas.