Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

05 Blue Blazer Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 01:39 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by reway
Hey Christine! I was running water ever since the rebuild and it was working over the summer so I just left it, but usually will run normal antifreeze. I was thinking with where it was leaking it was most likely the rad, the only other option being the upper rad hose, and it turned out to be the rad. I haven't physically seen it leak but the pictures below are pretty telling that it must be the rad... It seems it's leaking right where the plastic meets up with the aluminum. I can't believe this, water pump last week, rad this week, crazy!! Hopefully, I can drop a new rad in tomorrow.
That is tough luck on the timing! I've had a radiator fail at that joint too.

It it were not for having to drain off all the coolant, replacing the radiator is not too bad to do. Just don't lose the clips for the oil and trans fluid cooling lines!

Old 10-31-2022, 11:51 AM
reway is on a distinguished road

Thanks Christine, it's definitely tough draining the coolant over again, this will be the third time filling up with antifreeze in like one week! Hopefully, this time will be the last. $340 and a new rad will be delivered later today. It was only $140 plus shipping on rockauto but I really need my truck back today as I have exams all this week starting tomorrow so I bit the bullet on getting one today. Well, off I go to pull this rad now...

Old 10-31-2022, 02:01 PM

Ahh guys, the new rad came with the quick adapters not installed for the tranny or oil lines, what should I torque these to? It didn't come with new oil adapters so I will reuse the old ones with some thread sealer. But a torque spec for these would be amazing!

Old 11-01-2022, 11:36 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Tough luck lately huh? I always drain any factory coolant out of my vehicles and refill with regular green coolant. All rebuilds or any time I work on a cooling system i refill with straight water. Just incase of leaks or any other problems. Once I'm sure everything is ok then ill dump the water and put a 50/50 mix back in.

Old 11-06-2022, 05:29 PM

Thanks Hess! Definitely some tough luck, I would usually agree with you but it's freezing here now so filling up with water is not an option anymore! Anyways it took three days to replace the rad as I had to wait for the thread sealant on the oil cooler line adapter to dry, really threw a wrench in my exams! Thursday mid-day I got it back up and running to go out to my exam and it dumped 10cm of snow that night, I was glad I had the blazer all back together LOL.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:15 PM
Dayman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by reway
Thanks Hess! Definitely some tough luck, I would usually agree with you but it's freezing here now so filling up with water is not an option anymore! Anyways it took three days to replace the rad as I had to wait for the thread sealant on the oil cooler line adapter to dry, really threw a wrench in my exams! Thursday mid-day I got it back up and running to go out to my exam and it dumped 10cm of snow that night, I was glad I had the blazer all back together LOL.

I just ran some of f that thermocure stuff through mine to convert the remaining rust after I flushed it probably 3 times, my coolant turned blackish which is what the rust converter does but it seemed to do great.

killer thread by the way

Old 04-30-2023, 08:26 PM

Hello everyone, holy smokes they turned up the heat this term in school! I have had no time to do much of anything lately but keep on studying and working on projects, I had my last exam 2 days ago so I'm home free for the summer now. Besides this term being the hardest yet, I also learned about lots of cool things, some things included thermodynamics, heat transfer, gears, bearings, shafts, motors and brushless motors, the video at the bottom of this post is the motor I designed and made for one of my class projects this term. I found that pretty cool. Anyways, I'm just happy the blazer made it to the end of exams season so now I can get it all fixed up. A few weeks back the driver side wheel bearing went and was making a terrible sound whenever I made a right turn, so I replaced the bearing and that was all good, but I was still getting this awful bearing noise and clacking sound like my fan hitting something. Checked my fan quickly to made sure and it was nowhere close to hitting anything, so I ended up driving it like that until end of exams when I had a chance to look at it (yesterday). Well I was shocked when I started poking around yesterday and found the passenger side wheel bearing actually had loads of play up and down and the bearing was completly shot, that was the first time I found play in my tires like that! So I replaced the other side wheel bearing yesterday and she drives like im riding on air now! no more clack clack clack driving down the road or any bearing noise, I'm stoked how that turned out it's crazy how quiet it is inside now LOL. When I took the passenger side bearing out I compared the noise to the driver side I took out a few weeks ago and it was shoking just how shot the passenger bearing was! Now I'm off to hunt electrcial gremlins with my new DMM. Feels good to be back working on the truck.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/c81c1P3WJVM

Old 05-14-2023, 11:31 PM

Did some significant work on the beast over the weekend, installed projector headlights, and welded up a straight pipe in the exhaust. All said and done I'm pretty happy with it! I thought the lights would come with LEDs installed but unfortunately, they have H1 low and high beams. Next I will be looking to put LEDs in. Also found some weld-on 58" weld on rock sliders from Summit, will be picking those up and installing them in the next few weeks. Then maybe I will pull some of the door dings out. Also am planning a 12-hour drive in her over the Father's Day weekend, from Kelowna to Bella Coola, should be good!

Last edited by reway; 05-15-2023 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:02 PM

This is how my day started on the way to work today! Just died at a red light and would not crank after... more details to come soon!

Old 05-18-2023, 11:44 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Not a great way to start the day! Hopefully its nothing serious

Quick Reply: 05 Blue Blazer Build