Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

05 Blue Blazer Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 02:50 PM
reway is on a distinguished road

I really thought I had the clunk figured out for the last few days as I found the driver side inner and outer tie rod were both shot and I could move it easily with my hand
replaced the whole tie rod assembly today and it still clunks!!!

I feel like it has gotten better a bit (feels tighter) but nevertheless it still clunks. I just checked the passenger tie rod and I can move that one just like in the above video so that will probably be the next thing to replace.

Old 09-28-2021, 03:27 PM
Toxyco is on a distinguished road

That gap in the stabilizer bar link can't be helping. Did you have that backed off for some reason when you took the pic?

Old 09-28-2021, 04:01 PM

Nope, I have noticed that gap since I got the truck pretty much. It will clunk multiple times when I'm turning too, I would think if it was those links it would just be one clunk as the bar is loading up? I have already planned on replacing them just haven't had the time to put together quick disconnects yet.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:34 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

I was thinking about your noise... and since I put in the zr2 front diff. I lost the drop from the rc braket, which my cv binds when taking turns no from not sitting in the right position.

I want to say that that is something you should consider.

I have it now, that when making left turns only, front end lifts high enough to cause the cv axle to bind.

Could be the lack of bump stops, but I'm almost positive that it's because of the lack of drop on the drivers side.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:05 PM
Toxyco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by reway
Nope, I have noticed that gap since I got the truck pretty much. It will clunk multiple times when I'm turning too, I would think if it was those links it would just be one clunk as the bar is loading up? I have already planned on replacing them just haven't had the time to put together quick disconnects yet.
I've had stabilizers clunk when loose like that. Between the slop in the links and any play in the bushings I could see that making some noise.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:12 PM

That my friend, is a good idea! This could definitely be what’s happening as it feels like a pretty hard clunking/binding when it does it. I’m gonna have to look into this more thank you.

Old 09-28-2021, 10:54 PM
BF Veteran

More of a thump thump thump then a grind?

Old 09-28-2021, 11:39 PM

Yeah I have found the speed I’m going while I turn effects how hard it will clunk as well. It’s definitely not a grind as I can feel a distinct bind or clunk when it does it, I will try and get some decent footage of it clunking tomorrow.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:25 AM

Had no luck capturing a decent video of the clunk today. I’m going to get on the phone with rc tomorrow and get some more info on the control arms and see if I can get the diff drop separate too or what. If not I will have to make my own. I was thinking I already planned to put a diff drop on to make the cv angles better so I might as well try and get that done before I go any further. On a different note, yesterday when I went out clunk testing around my neighbourhood I decided to take it for a spin off road (the trails are right in my backyard pretty much) and the whole front end feels so so much tighter with the new idler arm and tie rod installed. It made it MUCH more enjoyable off-roading without the steering wheel slopping all over the place lol. So regardless I’m looking to throw a new passenger tie rod in too in the near future, then have all my steering linkage tight again!

Old 09-30-2021, 05:15 AM
BF Veteran

Nice! Wish I was that close to trails here lol..

Quick Reply: 05 Blue Blazer Build