Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

05 Blue Blazer Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 05:42 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

That looks like normal movement to me

Old 09-22-2021, 06:29 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

..Not normal movement, those mounts are toasty, the engine should rumble a bit but it should not be moving whole components far enough to give you a different view of the firewall looked headon like that. as far as clunking, im not quite up to date on this thread so when/where is the clunking noticed?
check the trans mount also, as i can see a little bit of yaw motion.

Last edited by Mods; 09-22-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:42 PM
Toxyco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by reway
No clunking found yet. I admit I am kind of at a loss. I thought it could be the driver side motor mount then checked it by taking a video of the engine while I would give it some gas. The engine lifts up from the driver side. It looks more like normal engine movement rather than motor mount is done. I will upload the video and maybe you can have a look at it and tell me what you think. https://youtu.be/crBtygcbgPQ
Was the truck in gear or neutral when you revved it?

Old 09-22-2021, 07:00 PM
reway is on a distinguished road

The truck was in gear when I did that. The clunking happens most prominently when I’m turning corners and hit even a small bump. It will also clunk sometimes hitting bigger bumps while I’m going straight. I’m pretty certain it’s coming from the driver side front end as I can feel pretty harsh vibrations under my feet each time it clunks.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:10 PM
BF Veteran

Guess I should look into my mounts then lol!!

Old 09-23-2021, 09:29 AM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by reway
The truck was in gear when I did that. The clunking happens most prominently when I’m turning corners and hit even a small bump. It will also clunk sometimes hitting bigger bumps while I’m going straight. I’m pretty certain it’s coming from the driver side front end as I can feel pretty harsh vibrations under my feet each time it clunks.
those mounts are pretty toasty, but i'd pull a rim off and look at the control arm bushings for cracking/splits, and inspect the balljoints and bearings for noise/excessive lateral movement.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:02 PM

Okay guys.. I had the blazer up in the air today and had all 4 wheels off because I was bleeding the brakes. Did a good look over the whole truck and I can pretty much say for certain my rear main seal is leaking because oil has started seeping out between the engine and the bell housing. Also oil coming out where the dust cover rubber plugs are in the bell housing. Sad news, but now I have 2 reasons to pull the engine out (I’m sure it’s documented on here somewhere but I have a cracked oil pan that I jb welded aswell). I also have turned my attention to the idler arm for what’s causing the clunking/popping. I noticed it allows quite a bit of up and down motion and I could get it to make a clunking sound when I would turn the rotor with my hand.

Old 09-26-2021, 12:15 AM

Got the idler arm replaced today. Cleaned up a lot of the slop in the steering, feels much tighter now. However it did not fix my clunk! Going to have to keep searching for that. Plugged in my scanner today and was shocked. P0455 large evap leak and P0507 high idle layed before me! Of course along with the usual P0420 but that’s been there for awhile now. The P0507 has been following me around since I replaced the iac valve and fixed P0506. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get to the bottom of some of this.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:43 AM
BF Veteran

The one you had looks like the one for a 2wd... was that stock?

Old 09-26-2021, 08:58 AM

Weird.. Yeah that one came with it when I got the truck.

Quick Reply: 05 Blue Blazer Build