Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1996 4dr small build

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:24 AM
wheninromeSDS is on a distinguished road

Fixed the hose...still overheating though. I got out and there was a puddle of fluid around the rear of the engine on the passenger side. It will be going to the shop tomorrow now... Good news though, I got tax returns in and it should be plenty enough to get her running like she should be.

I'll let you all know what the mechanics say.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

Unless the mechanic is a good friend of yours I would plan on spending a small fortune . We had a blazer come in our shop one time , it was a 16 year old girls first car . It was a 96 she paid like 3500 for it , and man everything was wrong with it , and of course my work just rapes the crap out of people . I truly felt bad for this girl our bill was more than what she paid for it . I don't work at that place anymore but everyone I have worked at is like that , unless they know you . Good luck .

Old 01-29-2012, 10:05 PM

Ugh, I certainly hope not. I've had TERRIBLE luck with cars. I check everything over before I buy 'em, and still manage to miss just 1 thing that causes me to get screwed over.

By the way...I follow your build...and LOVE it. lOl

Old 01-31-2012, 10:11 PM

Finally got her to the mechanic. Great news!....not.

Mind you all, I took it in for a misfire, and mentioned the coolant leaks and the tranny leak.

The mechanic (who is very good at his job, reputable...etc.) says this is wrong:

Cracked cylinder head
Head gasket is shot
cracked block
and something about the tranny leak coming from the engine or something. I didn't pay attention to this part, because all I heard was "bad engine."

All in all, I have no money whatsoever to be paying for a new engine, so it looks as if I'll sell her. It's a damn shame, because I really had high plans for her but as of now I need a running vehicle.

The only way I'd keep is if I could get a motor with 100k for around 300$, because I can put one in. I just don't have money for a 1500$ motor...

anyone have good ideas of where to look?

Thanks all...and if I sell her, my time here was good. Have a good one.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 PM

Hey guys....I have been lurking on the forums for a long while still, even though my blazer is "shot."

It's now been to 4 mechanics...and each one says something different. The last one though, that it's at currently, is telling me it'll be an injector, new radiator, and 4x4 cable, and the thing will be perfect again.

Tomorrow he's putting the injector and radiator in. Say's he'll drive it over to my house (we're sort of friends, and live .25 miles from the garage) when it's done. lol

keeping my fingers crossed because I really love this blazer.

THEN. FINALLY. I'll lift it a tad, and start with the small modifications.

Also, I got a spare transmission from a 96 blazer from a junk yard for 15$. I bought a rebuild kit, and I'll be working on that for a bit to put in (my current tranny shifts hard, and it's cheap and fun for me to rebuild this one).

I'll keep anyone reading posted!

Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 AM

UGH. I've come to find most mechanics are worth as much as dirt. (Not all, there are plenty of great ones out there xD)

I went to a yard, pulled a spider, put it in my blazer, and boom, CEL is off. Misfire is gone. Runs like a dream. Now everything has been fixed except for my problem with the tranny leaking.

Found a tad bit of oil too, but that's usually nothing to big.

When pulling the spider, I found a plug on the plenum that is cracked and broken, and doesn't close all the way because of this. If anyone has a plenum diagram for what is what on the plenum, thatwould be fantastic. It's on the driver side, behind the tstat.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:33 PM

Tomorrow, I'm doing the intake manifold gaskets. I'm pretty sure oil is in the crankcase, but also, not terribly positive. I got lucky enough to have 4 days of a great running truck. Now, tomorrow, when I'm supposed to start work for the summer, I have no vehicle. I shut it off, and the coolant then pumps out of the truck, from the back of the engine. I have head gaskets too, was debating on those as well tomorrow (for the next few days....nothing goes as planned. Lol) but a few mechanics have told me it passed compression tests fine.

If anyone wants a diy, lemme know, but there's a really good one already here!

oh, and the part that I found broken, pcv valve cap. got one for free. lol

Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 PM

welp. final news for the blazer. Blown head gasket. no money to fix it. not even for me to fix it myself. I have school to pay for, and as much as I need a car for a job, my luck is fcked.

the truck goes to scrap, even with 1800 in new parts, tomorrow.

my time here was brief. but anyways. good bye.

hope your blazers aren't as terrible as my piece o **** gm.