Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Just another 2000 Blazer LT repair build

Old 02-06-2018, 07:45 AM
Hadyss is on a distinguished road

I guess o never really thought of that cause I do turn my key then wait a couple seconds before kicking the starter in the prime the fuel. Most of the time I just use my command start though it doesn’t like the cold after -20c here unless it’s plugged in but the heat works great

Old 02-06-2018, 10:16 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Besel53
It's Alive!
Update 2-6-18:
It's -12F this morning. I did have the block heater plugged in last night. The beast started up IMMEDIATELY with no hesitation or extra cranking! I found a comment in a no cold start thread that says to turn the key very slowly until it kicks the starter in rather than just turning the key all the way. IT WORKS. Definitely worth a try if you have a cold start issue. Will have to look at getting an ignition switch for it at some point I suppose. I can't believe the cold would effect an ignition switch.... I work on electronics for a living and can hardly believe it.
Originally Posted by Hadyss
I guess o never really thought of that cause I do turn my key then wait a couple seconds before kicking the starter in the prime the fuel. Most of the time I just use my command start though it doesn’t like the cold after -20c here unless it’s plugged in but the heat works great
So it is a matter of giving the fuel pump a little time to pressurize the system before trying to crank the motor?

I could see that this could be the case as a block heater only heats the block while the rest of the Blazer's system are still cold; fuel pump, battery, etc. So that with a battery at reduced power output because of the cold, the fuel pump wood not initially be able pressurize the system as quickly. Giving it a few seconds to do its thing compensates for the reduced pumping ability due to reduced electrical power.

If my speculation is correct, is a heater for the battery something worth considering?

Old 02-06-2018, 10:19 AM

I have found here in Canada a battery heater does help when it’s super cold and ya if I don’t give it the couple seconds to pressurize the fuel it won’t start just tried it lol

Old 02-06-2018, 11:15 AM
BF Veteran

I have found here in Canada a battery heater does help when it’s super cold and ya if I don’t give it the couple seconds to pressurize the fuel it won’t start just tried it lol
Here in North Idaho, I've only experienced one winter in the last 15 that had me use the block heater so my Blazer has never been as challenged as yours. But as I was thinking about this, I realized I almost always turn the key on the ignition switch to "run" and wait a couple seconds before trying to start the truck. It is just a habit I think. Who knew it might have been avoiding headaches with slow starts on a cold mornings.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Besel53 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
So it is a matter of giving the fuel pump a little time to pressurize the system before trying to crank the motor?

I could see that this could be the case as a block heater only heats the block while the rest of the Blazer's system are still cold; fuel pump, battery, etc. So that with a battery at reduced power output because of the cold, the fuel pump wood not initially be able pressurize the system as quickly. Giving it a few seconds to do its thing compensates for the reduced pumping ability due to reduced electrical power.

If my speculation is correct, is a heater for the battery something worth considering?
Christine, my issue was actually with the ignition switch being faulty, but only when it's cold! Trust me, I've played with letting it build pressure for the initial "key on", then gone as far as doing it multiple times to build up pressure, but it didn't help. The issue is if I turn the key all the way forward, I have an intermittent connection in the switch. If I slowly turn the key, when it gets to the spring at the start position, just turn it barely until it kicks the starter in rather than twisting it all the way forward. Starts instantaneous.

I bet. Something to consider if I have further issues, but I think I will be ok with just the block heater here. The worst we usually get down to is -20F with -40 windchills. I always let the fuel pump pressurize it before starting as well. Good practice.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:12 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Besel53
Christine, my issue was actually with the ignition switch being faulty, but only when it's cold! Trust me, I've played with letting it build pressure for the initial "key on", then gone as far as doing it multiple times to build up pressure, but it didn't help. The issue is if I turn the key all the way forward, I have an intermittent connection in the switch. If I slowly turn the key, when it gets to the spring at the start position, just turn it barely until it kicks the starter in rather than twisting it all the way forward. Starts instantaneous.
An ignitions switch that is only bad when cold is weird! So glad you got it worked out.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:08 PM

So the problem is all solved now

Old 02-13-2018, 01:42 PM

Blazer has been sitting for a week. Mostly sub-zero. Not plugged in, not touched. Jumped in it last night to run to the parts store for a different project, did the "slow key" turn, and BAM, still starts like a champ.

Next up is the leaky heater core, which is sitting on the shelf ready to be replaced. After that, suspension bumpers, then most likely plan to work on the A/C, then rear wiper motor. After that, I think I'm going to leave it up to the kid to work on.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:44 PM

I just finished a lower ball joint and I have to do my rear wiper motor at some point too it works but the gears are stripped.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:48 PM

I just finished a lower ball joint and I have to do my rear wiper motor at some point too it works but the gears are stripped.
Nice. The rear on this one doesn't work at all. Spent 5 mintues trying to take off the big nut so I could remove it and troubleshoot, but I couldn't get it off and gave up for the time being. Not the most important, so it will happen when it does, ha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just another 2000 Blazer LT repair build