Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Mazatzal Jimmy's 1999 "AT4"

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 01:36 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SRIslash

and as a suggestion, go to Champion Radiators and get a three row for the Jimmy. Use all your existing fan stuff. I live in South Okanagan Canada where it gets well over 100F and no issues with heat now. The only radiator option otherwise is a new stock single core which is woefully inadequate and up in Canada the same price as Champion.

Shawn
I did not know of this radiator and I spent a LOT of time trying to find one for my Blazer. I got one from Engineered Cooling (see my build thread), but I had to have a trans cooler added. These ones from Champion look to already have that and at a good price. I like that they can come with electric fans. I'd highly suggest that option especially if you tow. I'd also suggest an extra trans cooler too. I couldn't install an electric fan from Engineered Cooling due to the mods I had to make to allow for the retrofitted trans cooler. These Champion radiators were not the easiest to find on their website. I had to go to the second page of the search results for "Blazer." to find it. Confusingly they they have place-holder pages for S-10 trucks but these do not link to the S-10 Blazer radiators.

https://shop.championcooling.com/199...lazer-SKU-1826

Old 09-26-2023, 08:27 AM
SRIslash is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
I did not know of this radiator and I spent a LOT of time trying to find one for my Blazer. I got one from Engineered Cooling (see my build thread), but I had to have a trans cooler added. These ones from Champion look to already have that and at a good price. I like that they can come with electric fans. I'd highly suggest that option especially if you tow. I'd also suggest an extra trans cooler too. I couldn't install an electric fan from Engineered Cooling due to the mods I had to make to allow for the retrofitted trans cooler. These Champion radiators were not the easiest to find on their website. I had to go to the second page of the search results for "Blazer." to find it. Confusingly they they have place-holder pages for S-10 trucks but these do not link to the S-10 Blazer radiators.

https://shop.championcooling.com/199...lazer-SKU-1826
We can thank Derek from Vice Grip Garage for the heads up on Champion. Great customer service too as I had mine start leaking where a flute meets the driver side tank and after sending a couple pics they sent me a new one. Awesome! I put foam seal on the outer ring of fan to help with vibration (my fans are Thru rad tied) and I did not crank on the ties as much as I may have last time. But this rad is absolutely a bolt in! I also used a little foam between rad and rad support.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:05 PM
Beginning Member
Mazatzal Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SRIslash
Such a good build. I notice a steering stabilizer there, did you notice a big difference?
Shawn
Thanks! Yes definitely noticed a difference, the truck doesn't track ruts as much as before, good bang for the buck mod. I think I need a steering box so the truck drives a bit like piloting a boat still lol.

Originally Posted by christine_208
Thanks for the heads up on the radiators! So far pretty good news. Truck drove back from NM to AZ without getting much hotter than 215 on a long hill. Otherwise it sat at about 200 most of the drive in 90 degree ambient temp. The old thermostat didn't seem to open as much as expected during testing so thinking that was a big cause. New tstat, lower rad hose spring, and a radiator flush, filled with new coolant and I think we are looking good... The fans actually cycle off now in town, before the truck never cooled down enough for the fans to kick off and complete a full cycle, so the cooling capacity appears to have been increased.

Other good news on the maintenance, took care of A LOT of issues. Truck doesn't clunk and bang anymore, apparently that was the motor mounts. Sooooo smooth on takeoff and shifting now... Transfer case was making a marbles rolling around in a can sound, found the output bearing cage unsnapped and the ball bearings were free to bang into each other in the bearing race. Completely silent now. Oil leaks are down from a dozen drips a day to only a couple. Looks like the last leaks are coming from the lower intake manifold so that's next on the bill... Air conditioning has completely took a dump now too, but I guess I'll do that at the same time as the mani. Never don't have a project... lol

Current immediate plan though is to prep this truck for Radwood Southwest on 10/14 here in Phoenix. I wasn't going to show the truck but had some friends with rad-era 4wds convince me to enter the show. Refinished my set of Envoy HID headlights finally this last weekend and I'm cleaning up some Bravada fog lights to install in my bumper tow hook cutouts. Have a few other cosmetic things to take care of and should be a fun time as it's an 80s/90s themed show and we are all dressing up like the 90s too. Been involved in the car scene a long time and never thought I'd bring my Jimmy to a legitimate show, but objectively it is in very good shape for the year so why not haha. I'm excited.