Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My small 96 Blazer build

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Well today while chatting with Robert aka okiedoak20 checking out his new bumper the mail lady pulled up and handed me my B&M Shift+! So naturally we opened it up and checked it out Robert had to go so I took litterally 15 minutes and installed it quick. So far from the quick drive around the building it seems to have corrected my slow sloppy shifts. I will have to see some more on the drive home tonight but then I am losing my Blazer to the wife for a while cause she is finally going back to work tomorrow. I am still waiting on the Corvette servo due to crappy customer service from Pro-Built Automatics in California. I ordered it on the 13th and 3 phone calls and two emails later I still have not heard back from them nor have they charged my credit card for it. I would order one from somewhere else but then they would probably charge me and send it finally. Its not a rush for it but some sort of response would be nice. Ok rant over sorry!!
Heres a couple pics of the controller for it. Its a little crooked cause its only held on with velcro

Attached Thumbnails My small 96 Blazer build-d207b105-119c-4b60-8f2e-437c3e4c1fff-1272-0000008f02a3ed70_zps681d44df.jpg   My small 96 Blazer build-09661a8a-e128-4e0d-94b8-6428de1a4c00-1272-0000008f082b4503_zpsaae5de22.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Starting Member
matt9589 is on a distinguished road

let us know how you like it on a longer drive. I was looking as these last week!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

So far I have around 50 miles on it and its a huge improvement! If my ailing trans feels this good with it I can only imagine what it will do for a healthy trans.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Starting Member
WalkGood is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PaulO2288
I would have done the throttle body mod when you had it off. It make a worlds difference in low end power and throttle response. Made the truck a lot nicer to drive, It should have came from the factory that way

I am a bit late to the party here... but can you point me towards info on this "throttle body mod" ? Maybe a forum thread link about it?

Old 03-01-2013, 12:39 AM
1999BlueMobile is on a distinguished road

Wow, read through the entire thread start to finish and I must say, I'm very impressed, inspired, and feeling more motivated to start the upgrading to my Blazer. Just got it last weekend and being 17 it is my first vehicle, most kids I go to school with half a** their off road toys, but this build will definitely keep me going in the "do it right the first time or don't do it at all" direction.

I'm definitely not as mechanically inclined as most on these forums but let the learning experience and adventure begin!

Oh and by the way, very beautiful blazer you've got here, I'll post up a pic of what I'm starting with tomorrow since it's 11:40pm over here.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WalkGood
I am a bit late to the party here... but can you point me towards info on this "throttle body mod" ? Maybe a forum thread link about it?
The throttle body mod is basically cutting the baffle off of the throttle blade. It helps to get more air into the intake quicker at lower rpms but does nothing at high rpms. Some people have said they had a high idle after doing it but I didn't.
If you look at the throttle plate you can see the baffle that is riveted to it. Thats what you want to cut off. You can simply use grinder or other cut off tool and cut only the baffle off (I used a hack saw and sanded it smooth) or you can drill out the rivets and remove the entire plate. If you do this you have to put rivets back in the holes or you will for sure have a high and possibly erratic idle. Don't try and fill the holes with anything but a rivet either due to the possiblility of something falling out and into the engine.
Heres some pics of an unmodded one I have laying around here.
This shows the baffle

Heres a top shot or bottom while installed

And the back or top while installed. In this pic you can see the two rivets that need to be drilled out if you choose that route.

Personally I would say just cut it and leave the rivets alone.

Attached Thumbnails My small 96 Blazer build-9b91cd43-84f2-49fb-b504-c2a12d7ce4ea-2744-000002e175635b77_zpsb2c1b17c.jpg   My small 96 Blazer build-b4aab16c-c831-4a07-8c33-eaab1c017d26-2744-000002e17f962589_zps8fe7506d.jpg   My small 96 Blazer build-f63f480d-2690-4d75-9080-74283697a19b-2744-000002e17abc34a0_zps116518f6.jpg  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1999BlueMobile
Wow, read through the entire thread start to finish and I must say, I'm very impressed, inspired, and feeling more motivated to start the upgrading to my Blazer. Just got it last weekend and being 17 it is my first vehicle, most kids I go to school with half a** their off road toys, but this build will definitely keep me going in the "do it right the first time or don't do it at all" direction.

I'm definitely not as mechanically inclined as most on these forums but let the learning experience and adventure begin!

Oh and by the way, very beautiful blazer you've got here, I'll post up a pic of what I'm starting with tomorrow since it's 11:40pm over here.
Thanks for the compliments!! If you just take your time and plan out what your going to do it will help to keep things in order and make sure you do them right the first time. Just take your time and you will be fine. Don't worry about not being super mechanically inclined no one is perfect at everything so if something doesn't turn out the way you intended learn from it and try again! Your on the right track by reading through these build threads. There are alot of guys and gals on here that have done some really nice work on their trucks and I still use others as my inspiration!! Make sure you make a build thread when you get started I'll follow it!

Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 PM

Alright so here's the single image I took right after I got the truck, wasn't home at all today so I couldn't get any other or better ones. Anyways, I've been reading up on methods of lift and trying to decide between tbar crank and spending the $500+ on the 2.5" kit from Rough Country. I know you did the crank but I read a lot of negative responses on the How-To discussion thread so I'll ask one who did it a long time ago.. Have you noticed increased wear on the parts affected or not as drastic as some make it sound? Also, did you do a ball joint flip? And sorry to sound like a clueless child, but ride quality? I'm sure I'll be back with other curious questions later when more mod opportunities arise! Sorry for the book to read too!

I'll create my build thread tomorrow by the way! I think!

Attached Thumbnails My small 96 Blazer build-625650_607163462631236_1680803510_n_zps91c17d47.jpg  
Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

I have the RC upper control arms on my truck that correct the ball joint angles so no flip there. I replaced the entire front end when I did it and have since had to replace the pitman arm. Everything else is good still. As for ride the front end is far stiffer which I like cause it keeps the truck level rather than feeling like your on a cloud lol. I would say get yourself some shackles and do about 1.5" on the tbars and you should be good to go. Any more than that expect to replace cv shafts and ball joints more frequently.

Looks like you have a nice platform to build from to!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by rexmburns
I have the RC upper control arms on my truck that correct the ball joint angles so no flip there. I replaced the entire front end when I did it and have since had to replace the pitman arm. Everything else is good still. As for ride the front end is far stiffer which I like cause it keeps the truck level rather than feeling like your on a cloud lol. I would say get yourself some shackles and do about 1.5" on the tbars and you should be good to go. Any more than that expect to replace cv shafts and ball joints more frequently.

Looks like you have a nice platform to build from to!
Where did you get those control arms?? I don't know if I could get them anywhere by themselves or if I'd have to buy the whole RC lift kit? And where'd you get your shackles from? I found 2" ones from Crown Suspension for $35 but don't want to have to over crank my tbars to make it look near level.

Quick Reply: My small 96 Blazer build