Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My small 96 Blazer build

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

I may have to give that a try!!

Old 10-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Got my winch fully wired with the exception of connecting it to the battery. It's fully bolted in and I did a test run just a quick in and out and everything is good to go. I need to get a better/larger battery before I wire it to the battery tho.
I was planning to buy some compression lugs and use them with some welding wire I have laying around but at $5 ea and needing 6 it was $9 cheaper and a lot less hassle to just stop at Advance and pick these up

Got them installed and the solenoid box all back together

I didn't take anymore pics cause nothing else looks any different than it did yesterday lol
And while I was finishing up that project this showed up

I managed to get it cut into the 6 pcs I needed for the slider feet and the passenger side is fitted trimmed and tacked into place! Tomorrow I will get some gussets made up and finish welding the pass side and hopefully get a good start on the drivers side as well. Then it's just that pesky little matter of drilling all the holes it's going to take to bolt this these things on and phase one will be complete!

Attached Thumbnails My small 96 Blazer build-2a960415-edb6-43a3-bef3-9f1326a98112-450-0000003082a0d3d5_zps0a91f1ba.jpg   My small 96 Blazer build-ac7f59db-ee0a-40f3-896e-45eb84c1a96e-450-00000030891f2803_zps2e4cb819.jpg   My small 96 Blazer build-11a1cc7f-0e82-4fec-8641-cc59a0c8c209-450-00000030937ff88b_zpsf10b26c4.jpg  
Old 10-23-2013, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Got my winch fully wired with the exception of connecting it to the battery. It's fully bolted in and I did a test run just a quick in and out and everything is good to go. I need to get a better/larger battery before I wire it to the battery tho.....
How about a second battery? I've been thinking of doing that on mine, and running a winch and inverter off of the auxiliary one. I've found a really good wiring diagram on expo forum, I think. It uses a solenoid to keep them separated when the engine isn't running, and tie them together when it is.

I know a rex install would be way cleaner and better than anything I could come up with! I've already copied your shackle mounting method!!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

I've considered a second battery. The one I have now is the cheapest economy battery that is sold and was installed by the PO. I need to upgrade it regardless so I think for now I will go with a better battery but will most likely do a dual setup later on cause I to would like to mount an inverter in the back at some point. Jamaroon did a super clean inverter install that I will be stealing some ideas from when the time comes. Do you have a link to the diagram you found by chance?

As for the "Rex install" I will certainly take the compliment but I can't take all the credit cause I get most of my ideas from other members here and then just find a way to make it my own. I do try to make things that function well and look like a "professional" did the install (even though I've seen some sh**** "profesional" work!

I'm debating selling my front shackle mounts now that I have the winch in there since the mount has D-ring mounts but I'm still undecided I am going to spend some time staring at it and see if I can possibly use them in the future when I turn the mount into a bumper.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Jamaroon did a super clean inverter install that I will be stealing some ideas from when the time comes.

Thanks!

Winch install looks good Rex. I guess that's one benefit of that style grill, enough room to hide the solenoid box back there.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Your welcome!!

The funny thing is that I was just at the yard on Monday and found a mint 98+ front end conversion and almost left with it but decided against it. Had I bought it I would have had to figure out a different way to mount the solenoid box I like that its hidden away and I didn't have to hack away at and body parts on my truck!

Old 10-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, if I ever get a winch I'd probably try putting the solenoid box where the factory air cleaner was. Having the CAI leaves a decent amount of room there.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

I've got the Volant CAI so I don't have any space there that thing is as big or bigger than the factory air box!!

Old 10-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Well today was more successful than I had anticipated!! I managed to get both sliders fully welded up and all that is left is to drill some holes and throw some bolts in and they will be mounted

And then while using the crapper I came across a good deal on CL and texted the guy and went and picked this up for $25

Its a Warn roller fairlead and was brand new still in the plastic! I'd say it was a win for $25

Attached Thumbnails My small 96 Blazer build-7045aa45-18bd-4fe4-8ee8-e85206a26fd5-1570-000001398a83b4dc_zps3574d25d.jpg   My small 96 Blazer build-48ab9d28-3882-4ebd-87b1-f85d972ed9cd-1570-00000135d93154c0_zpsd1044a22.jpg  
Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I've considered a second battery. The one I have now is the cheapest economy battery that is sold and was installed by the PO. I need to upgrade it regardless so I think for now I will go with a better battery but will most likely do a dual setup later on cause I to would like to mount an inverter in the back at some point. Jamaroon did a super clean inverter install that I will be stealing some ideas from when the time comes. Do you have a link to the diagram you found by chance?
How to make a cheap isolated dual-battery setup for $50 - Expedition Portal

Here's the link for the dual battery setup. It's a pretty long thread, with some good info.

The only problem is where in the world you can fit a second battery under the hood of a blazer??!!! I'm thinking maybe if the washer fluid reservoir is removed, it might fit there.

Might have to check out Jamaroon's install for some ideas, myself!

Last edited by cleburne red; 10-24-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Quick Reply: My small 96 Blazer build