Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project Jeep-killing Chevy. 2000 4x4 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 10:24 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chevyriders
So, after receiving the adapter I ordered, It turned out to be for a different 4 bolt intake pattern...so I've turned my sights back to my original adapter, and that adapter will be getting tig welded and machined down to fit the gasket surface properly.

Other than that, I finished gasket matching the lower intake

I won't be able to actually get this thing installed for a couple weeks though- heading to Florida because a 61 Mercedes 190sl we restored at our shop was invited to Amelia Island Concours.
Very cool build and the marine intake gets around the biggest problem (availability of higher flow injectors). What do you think? 270hp? If a 5.7 Vortec can make 350HP, then a 4.3 should make 262hp or so.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:20 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping around 260-270 once it's tuned properly, and gets headers and larger diameter dual exhaust.

A wynjammer supercharger is in the plans sometime in the next couple years, so im figuring i should break thru into the 300s with that. I don't know if It'll ever hit a dyno with boggers on it, but it should turn the 40's pretty well.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:11 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

That is one cool conversion.

What do you have to change on the ECU side? New mapping?

Old 03-29-2018, 08:55 AM

I haven't tuned it yet, I'm brand new to ecu tuning but I'll be getting hp tuners software very soon here to do it.
I'm expecting a huge learning curve, but it's something I really want to learn to do myself.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:13 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

I'm at the same point now.

A friend is a professional tuner. I still have to bring him the stock EPROM.
Once the build is complete i'll assemble an injection/ignition mockup. Most probably we'll be using the same software as you do.

I'm interested in what you find out. At this point I'm still reading.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:02 PM

Well I was slacking hard there for a little bit, but I'm gonna be back at it now.

My battery was toast, and my alternator was squealing under load, and only putting out around 13v- as well as draining my battery down quickly with the truck off.

Im planning on a winch, more lights and probably a sound system at some point- so between that and my e-fan, i know ill need a nice battery- so I picked up an Optima Yellow Top.

I also pulled my alternator and tomorrow I'm bringing it down to a local rebuild shop to have it rebuilt, and rewound (to as high of an output as they can throw at it...I'll find out specifics tomorrow) in the meanwhile I threw one of my backup alternators in.

Now comes the interesting part of this electrical overhaul.... I'm relocating the battery to under the cargo area floor of the truck. This will be to make room for a dual battery setup, as well as keep them out of the mud as much as possible. I plan to leave room in the battery box for electrical junction panels for power and ground, and either an isolator or a continuous duty solenoid.- I'm undecided between the two so far.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:40 PM

Well, after talking to the rebuild shop about the factory alternator I found out they can only get about 135a out of them(up from the 105a stock) due to the small size of the casing.

While I had them on the phone I inquired about an ad244 alternator. They said that the case is much larger and they can rewind those up to over 200a.

So I ordered up a ad244 from a local salvage yard for 65$, and I'm having them rebuild that instead. Just thought I would share that info in case it could help someone else!

Old 05-15-2018, 09:40 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I was going to bring up the AD244 alternator but I honestly had though you already made that conversion :P

I put a bone stock one on my 04 I pulled off a Suburban in the junk yard about 4 years ago and it's never given me an issue, and I've always had some sort of extra load on it between the electric fans, stereo, LED light bars (not that they draw much...), and now a winch. I would suggest you do the big 3 upgrade while you're at it so that you can actually make use of the extra amperage generated (hell, I'd recommend it even with a stock alternator...)

Old 05-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I grabbed a 253 amp alternator from RockAuto for just over $100 when my DR44G started acting up. They still have them too. I have been running it for a few months now and I rarely get below 13.0 volts at the ECM.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...361539&jsn=629

Last edited by Tajohns34; 05-18-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:00 AM

Yeah blazenred I've still been in the stone age with my electrical system lol. I'm definitely going to be redoing the major wiring in it while I'm at it- especially once I relocate the battery to under the rear cargo area... I'm going to need to run4/0 cable once I do that according to what I've found in my research.

Tajohns, That's a hell of a deal on a new alternator, I'd already ordered mine though, plus I get nervous with after market products, and tend not to trust their ratings as much. At least this way I have a Delphi alternator that's been rebuilt by a local shop I trust.

So here it is, not rebuilt yet though.

Pretty considerable size difference. I'll send it out Monday to get rebuilt!

I also ordered a new rear axle pinion yoke since i damaged mine last year being a dummy. This one is ubolt style so it should be considerably stonger. Also, the Dana 44s don't use crush sleeves so i t should make installation pretty straightforward

Quick Reply: Project Jeep-killing Chevy. 2000 4x4 Blazer