Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Subs in side compartments?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Starting Member
Antbankz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by b_merr
I don't really mind going under the paneling to get the sub mounted and to be honest, I like the custom job a little more. I like the second idea you posted too though Antbankz. If I did do something like that do you know how much different the sound would be? So far as rattling caused by the one under the panel what would should I expect?
i have noo idea, was just something that popped in my head,not sure how well it'll work out there but its something different ive never seen but so will the compament idea be too

Old 04-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Starting Member

b_merr --- oh wait did u mean the second pic in the cargo??? i believe that is in a 4runner but the same concept applies with the blazer

Old 04-20-2012, 12:21 PM
b_merr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Antbankz
b_merr --- oh wait did u mean the second pic in the cargo??? i believe that is in a 4runner but the same concept applies with the blazer
yeah I meant the one in the back. I'd rather not try and cut into the liner in a way that it'll show because I'm not THAT sure of myself.
I've heard from a couple people that putting the sub under the paneling causes some rattling. I don't know how bad the rattling they're talking about would be though. I know putting it in the cargo like that would probably rattle less i just didn't know how much less.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by b_merr
yeah I meant the one in the back. I'd rather not try and cut into the liner in a way that it'll show because I'm not THAT sure of myself.
I've heard from a couple people that putting the sub under the paneling causes some rattling. I don't know how bad the rattling they're talking about would be though. I know putting it in the cargo like that would probably rattle less i just didn't know how much less.
yup

Old 04-21-2012, 03:33 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

behind paneling, rattle fest. our trucks vibrate a lot and can never be quiet. i put about a grand of sound deadening in my truck and it was still loud. panels didn't vibrate as bad but still did because everything is held in with plastic clips and just loved to move. the side panel enclosure in the trunk is probably your best bet. it can be a combination of fiberglass and mdf to make it a little easier. if you aren't going for any bass other than rounding out a system with occasional loud listening, do a sealed box in the passenger corner and enjoy it. if you're going for a little more boom, ported along the whole passenger side. you'll have something like 26x28 of room in the cargo area if you're box sticks out a couple inches.

good luck man, keep asking questions if you have any.