Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Torbinator's Cheap Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020 | 09:23 PM
|
Starting Member
Torbinator is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonL
Did it come factory with one and taken off? Or did you have to drill and install, and was the mounting bolts on the inside already there?
It did not come with it factory. I had to drill the holes myself. You do not wanna see the holes I drilled! Glad the carpet covers it all lol

Bought this off marketplace for $40. Personally have always liked the look of these things. Makes my 2wd look closer to a zr2. Now just need some low offset rims so I have an excuse for zr2 fenders 😅

Only thing I dont like about the tire carrier is the added weight. Feels a bit more sluggish. So far the tire doesn't harm my view, but its also just a spare...

Old 09-12-2020 | 09:49 AM
Jimmybuild is on a distinguished road

where did you get your gauge set from. That's nice

Old 09-12-2020 | 10:25 AM
|
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Jimmybuild
where did you get your gauge set from. That's nice
Thanks! It was a ebay buy that I was just hoping would work (because I dont trust ebay) and worked out just fine. May need to use some glue near the speedo and rpm gauge to make it clamp down onto the gauge or else your needles won't move.

Old 11-17-2020 | 03:11 PM
|
Starting Member

Been a few months. All ive done to the Jimmy (Blazer? Chevrolimmy?) since the last post has been shocks, sway bar bushings, wheel bearing, and maybe a few other small things ive forgotten.

Checked oil today with it not even touching the dipstick again (Who needs oil anyways) just topped it off and hoping for the best.

Started a job at Home Depot and have been having a lot of fun at work talking about vehicles and whatnot with a friend there. He has a nice little Crossfire which handles so nicely. Reminded me of my old G6 how I could take corners without any issues. So that now has me thinking about possibly lowering this vehicle since its a RWD so I can have fun on the road than being pulled back just because I want some clearance for offroad even though I never touch it. Any thoughts? I figure lowering it would make it not so top heavy then I can throw on a few things once its lower to make it handle smoothly. Its either this path or I'm gonna start saving for like a late 1990s mustang to toy around with lol

Old 12-06-2020 | 05:42 PM
|
Starting Member

Getting a Flowmaster Super 10 installed on the Jimmy tomorrow or Tuesday. Excited tbh. Im currently running no precat, high flow cat, and a flowmaster 40 series. Just changing out the muffler since the sound from the 40 series is audible inside the vehicle but hardly at all outside the vehicle. Super 10 should be interesting... Hoping maybe itll give me a couple pops whenever im going through the gears lol

Old 12-06-2020 | 07:13 PM
Starting Member
03jawja is on a distinguished road

Youll love it..the super 10 is perfect for the 4.3. Mine has a nice pop here and there

Old 12-08-2020 | 10:05 AM
|
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 03jawja
Youll love it..the super 10 is perfect for the 4.3. Mine has a nice pop here and there
Well I got the super 10 installed this morning but the drive home seemed just barely different. The low speeds like 40 and below seemed to be somewhat louder with a few more lil crackles than the last exhaust. Upper end speeds sound the same. So basically im saying its hardly any louder than the 40 series, which confuses me since the super 10 is like 1/3rd of the size of a 40 series, shouldnt it be a lot louder? I saw a couple articles online about muffler break in periods that make the exhaust quieter or louder? Mixed info basically... Anyone got info on this? Not used to new mufflers, usually buy them used but this one is brand new off amazon. Maybe Im wrong... Maybe super 10 is just barely louder than 40 series lol

Old 12-08-2020 | 01:50 PM
Starting Member
03jawja is on a distinguished road

It took mine about a month or so. I got mine right around when it started to warm up in nashville. I do have still precat and cat at the moment

Old 12-08-2020 | 02:49 PM
|
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 03jawja
It took mine about a month or so. I got mine right around when it started to warm up in nashville. I do have still precat and cat at the moment
I'm not too far from there. I'm just an hour away in Clarksville.

I have no precat but a high flow cat. Thats good to know that there's somewhat a break in. It doesn't need to be loud, but it was sorta the reason I got it lol

Old 01-07-2021 | 10:08 AM
|
Starting Member

Well ive sorta got my mind made but not sure when ill do it.

Ive been looking into doing a 2/3 drop on the Chevrolimmy. I think that drop will do well since I'll still be able to tow and it should supposedly ride better.
Ive been told to run spindles and blocks but I think im just going to do 2" coils and 3" blocks since its such a small drop I dont think coils will be too much of a big deal if I throw in some drop shocks too. Have a friend coming down February 18th. Probably going to spend a couple of the days hes here replacing ball joints and a few other things so I was thinking why not do the springs while the knuckle is already off? And blocks in the rear is very easy. Still unsure of how my vehicle would look dropped but im tired of the body roll and sway. I did indeed replace the shocks so its just the sorta SUV body roll I dont like. If it was a 4x4 I would for sure never drop it but this is a RWD. I get stuck as soon as all 4 wheels touch mud. No need for clearance if I cant drive over what I clear.

Quick Reply: Torbinator's Cheap Jimmy