Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Torbinator's Cheap Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021 | 04:13 PM
|
Starting Member
Torbinator is on a distinguished road

Got the setback plates and it appears it has fixed most of the vibrations. Measuring the trans and diff tho the diff is at 4.2 and the trans at 7.2. They say to try and get it within a 2 degree difference. Agh. Hoping maybe its transmission mount which is squashed. Replacing it with a energy suspension one from autozone. Otherwise maybe getting 2 degree shims to counter my angled blocks and bring it to a straight block? Honestly this thing handles so much better even without the front done yet but I want to have it done properly so that there's nothing to worry about down the line.

Old 01-26-2021 | 05:30 PM
|
Starting Member

Getting bad vibrations... Checked ujoints, motor mounts, made sure blocks were on right... My driveshaft turns side to side even in 1st gear. It should be locked up from what ive heard but it turns a certain distance back and forth. So I was told that means my pinion gear is bad? Well looking online theyre very expensive to replace so maybe I should go for a Ford 8.8 rear end? Theyre like $132 at the junkyard. Ive got a 3.42 open diff so maybe find a 3.73 with a limited slip? I know I dont have any performance stuff done to this truck but ive heard these diffs are strong and Id like to be able to mess around without worrying about killing my diff. Thoughts? Theres a couple listings around with 2 mustang rims coincidentally perfect for this swap hahaha

Old 02-03-2021 | 04:24 PM
|
Starting Member

Still getting vibrations but replacing the rear tires helped greatly! They were pretty darn smooth lol

I think im gonna ditch the spacers for now... Wheels need a sledge hammer to knock off everytime I want to check out something. After looking at a few things online it seems I need to have the rear diff 2 degrees below the angle of the transmission preferably. And something about a JTR 3/4" spacer... Im gonna throw a 1/2" steel spacer I made between the trans and mount and see what happens haha

Currently planning on 2" drop spindles, 1.5" ZQ8 springs and pulling a leaf in the rear for an extra 1.5" out of the rear. This most certainly wont be a pretty dropped vehicle but atleast I will like it lol

Of course first thing is fixing the vibration before searching junkyards for Zq8 crap and Amazon spindles.

Old 02-10-2021 | 11:05 AM
|
Starting Member

Well spindles came in and are fully installed. Still not as low as I want but definitely an improvement! Now to find some Zq8 coils... Sorta surprised the rear is still a decent amount lower than the front on a 2/3 drop.

Old 02-25-2021 | 09:02 PM
|
Starting Member

Got the Blazer lowered on the front. So now its 4/3.5. I believe I need another inch on the rear but I love how it looks and how it rides. It takes corners like a champ now with very little body roll. Needs drop shocks on the front and a better rear sway bar. Rear sway bar is 23mm and the bushings are shot. Cant find any 23mm bushings that fit.

Also recently noticed oil is yet again leaking. I can not smell things and really have never been able to unless its crazy strong. But I had a passenger today after I lowered the dime and he complained about how bad it smelled like burning oil. Ive noticed lately if I leave the vehicle in one spot to warm up itll accumulate a tad bit of oil on the ground and when you turn it off youll notice wet spots running down the exhausts downpipe. I would hope that means it isnt the rear main seal since rear main seal would leak down and not shoot to the sides id hope. Maybe could be something simple like clogged PCV system or my oil pressure sensor went bad again? Need some ideas... Head gasket, LIM, and valve cover gaskets were done 10k miles ago... Id hate to do a rear main seal... Dont have time to have this vehicle down. Im not sure where exactly leaks happen since top of the trans and whole engine is generally coated in oil due to never being clean but I see it running down the exhaust pipes.

Also surprised I dont rub. Im running 28.9" tires on a 4" drop haha

Old 02-26-2021 | 05:51 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

That looks alot better!

Old 02-27-2021 | 04:20 AM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Torbinator
Got the Blazer lowered on the front. So now its 4/3.5. I believe I need another inch on the rear but I love how it looks and how it rides. It takes corners like a champ now with very little body roll. Needs drop shocks on the front and a better rear sway bar. Rear sway bar is 23mm and the bushings are shot. Cant find any 23mm bushings that fit.

Also recently noticed oil is yet again leaking. I can not smell things and really have never been able to unless its crazy strong. But I had a passenger today after I lowered the dime and he complained about how bad it smelled like burning oil. Ive noticed lately if I leave the vehicle in one spot to warm up itll accumulate a tad bit of oil on the ground and when you turn it off youll notice wet spots running down the exhausts downpipe. I would hope that means it isnt the rear main seal since rear main seal would leak down and not shoot to the sides id hope. Maybe could be something simple like clogged PCV system or my oil pressure sensor went bad again? Need some ideas... Head gasket, LIM, and valve cover gaskets were done 10k miles ago... Id hate to do a rear main seal... Dont have time to have this vehicle down. Im not sure where exactly leaks happen since top of the trans and whole engine is generally coated in oil due to never being clean but I see it running down the exhaust pipes.

Also surprised I dont rub. Im running 28.9" tires on a 4" drop haha

LIM block deck/chinawall RTV seal?
that or valve covers, see if you can find the leak visually with the engine running
also check your oil though im sure you've done that by now.

Old 03-04-2021 | 01:36 PM
|
Starting Member

Bad picture but pulled a leaf in the rear for moar low. That sets me at 4/5 drop now. Need some drop shocks and the rear brackets taken out. I bottom out on every bump lol

So after a few days of driving the oil level really isnt changing at all but its smoking from under the hood sometimes when turned off. What I did find was that my trans is down just over half a quart of trans fluid and theres some type of fluid covering the whole trans. Wondering if maybe its leaking from the top of the trans from the shifter and falling on the exhaust causing a burning oil-ish smell? Would explain why I couldnt find any of my dye on the bottom of the car, oil isnt leaking! Its the trans I guess? Any input? Found a thread on S10forums that said theres some gasket type thing on top of the NV3500 that could cause it to leak over the whole thing. I dont know where else my fluid would be going... Only realized it was low because the trans starting making a slight whine. Yikes...

Old 03-04-2021 | 02:15 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Doesn't look bad, looks as low as the wifes sonoma with the zq8 if not a lil lower lol.

Old 03-12-2021 | 09:24 AM
|
Starting Member

Originally Posted by DonL
Doesn't look bad, looks as low as the wifes sonoma with the zq8 if not a lil lower lol.

Yeah, gonna end up putting the leaf back in for now. Need some drop shocks for the rear and figure out how to cut out the bumpstop bracket. Im bottoming out on literally everything haha

Need to lower the front a little more somehow anyways, it has a squat going on. Probably will do it again once I get some 18s/20s. Still watching FB marketplace closely.

Quick Reply: Torbinator's Cheap Jimmy