Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:09 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

I found it to make my finish so smooth, that when I did the Escalade for brake dust, I ended up doing the whole truck. If you run your hand across clean paint and is it not smooth like glass, a clay bar may improve your finish. If you can feel microscopic grit, try it and see if it helps. It made a believer out of me. Now if your ride is super clean all the time and feels like glass, don't waste your time as it's not needed.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:43 PM
m.sterner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LuvMyTJ
I found it to make my finish so smooth, that when I did the Escalade for brake dust, I ended up doing the whole truck. If you run your hand across clean paint and is it not smooth like glass, a clay bar may improve your finish. If you can feel microscopic grit, try it and see if it helps. It made a believer out of me. Now if your ride is super clean all the time and feels like glass, don't waste your time as it's not needed.

i disagree. i wash and wax my z28 all the time, at least 3 times a month. i thought it was super clean but my brother in law told me about clay bars so i gave it a shot, wow what a difference. the bar is white so you can really see all the stuff that is still on the car even when you think its perfect. takes some time but when done right makes washing and waxing really easy for the next year. i use the meguiars kit and they suggest using spray wax with it but its really not needed. i use the bar with a spray bottle of water and then hit it lightly with a bottle of sprax wax after im done,makes it shine and slippery as hell. might not make the biggest "look" difference on light cars but if you have something dark, especially black, its well worth the money and time.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:49 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by m.sterner
i disagree. i wash and wax my z28 all the time, at least 3 times a month. i thought it was super clean but my brother in law told me about clay bars so i gave it a shot, wow what a difference. the bar is white so you can really see all the stuff that is still on the car even when you think its perfect. takes some time but when done right makes washing and waxing really easy for the next year. i use the meguiars kit and they suggest using spray wax with it but its really not needed. i use the bar with a spray bottle of water and then hit it lightly with a bottle of sprax wax after im done,makes it shine and slippery as hell. might not make the biggest "look" difference on light cars but if you have something dark, especially black, its well worth the money and time.
LOL... what you said, is what my post was sayin' too. We agree bro! claybar FTW!

Old 04-17-2010, 03:44 PM
m.sterner is on a distinguished road

no i was saying i disagree because even if it feels smooth as glass sometimes it is still really dirty even if it feels great

Old 05-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Beginning Member
LinkTGF is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking about buying this and using it on my 1998 Blazer, it's got some nicks and scratches - using the clay bar on those areas shouldn't negatively affect them, right?

Another question: it won't fill in missing paint in scratches, will it?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:13 PM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

I disagree with the negative comments about ICE... I started out just using it and it was great. I've waxed my truck with it 5 times and there's hardly any gone it still looks brand new. My previous wash/wax I used Mothers clay bar before the ICE and it made it even better.

EDIT: no it wont negatively affect the scratches. it'll fill them in a little bit and make it look like they're gone for a while. at least it did on my truck.

Last edited by CNYCountryKidd; 05-17-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Banned
kickme005 is on a distinguished road

liquid clay/wax and stuff dont work. if they do work for you it wont last that long

Old 08-23-2010, 08:53 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kickme005
liquid clay/wax...
A clay bar and wax are two different things completely. There is no such thing as 'liquid clay' for automotive detailing.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:11 PM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kickme005
liquid clay/wax and stuff dont work. if they do work for you it wont last that long
Going on what rriddle said, no there isn't such a thing as liquid clay, and clay and wax are two different things.

On another note.. when I just use my ICE it lasts for a good few weeks. Using both the clay bar and ICE (which is only a polish, btw, not a wax) my truck stays shiny for over a month provided it doesn't rain too much and I don't drive through a dust storm or mud. I'd be glad to give you pointers if you're having trouble with your clay bar/wax.

Don't know if this is true or not, but maybe you need a little more experience before you give up? With that said, I am completely unsure of how in depth you are with detailing, so don't take it the wrong way at all.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I bought a Meguiars Clay bar Kit, and it work pretty well. I couldn't see the difference(Naturally, it's a white truck), but it felt so smooth! I used the detailing wax provided, and it has held up the past 2 months. I need to buy some good ole' carnuba wax.