Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

E-fans. Quality brands size and cfms?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about
Default E-fans. Quality brands size and cfms?

My clutch is going bad on my fan. Id rather just buy some efans and take advantage of it. Are those 12" fans at advance auto worth the time? Im guessing i need around 4k cfm? I deleted a/c so thats not a issue.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:42 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

A fan or fans with shrouds should be used but a better idea is having them mounted in a shroud that envelopes the entire rear of the rad. That way they're drawing air through the entire rad & not just where the fan is mounted against it. A lot of people have gone to a wrecker & picked up a Taurus fan assembly.
Personally I looked for fans that are around 4000 cfm with as low amp draw as I could find. Smart placement is another thought because not only does the rad cool the engine coolant but also the trans & motor oils, at least on mine it does.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:03 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Ive been studying the taurus fans for a while. I dont know if i like the fact they draw alot of amps when they power on.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM
BF Veteran

Well that's the idea I was going with anyway. You can always get a shroud for 1 or 2 fans & alter it to fit the fans you want to get. The important thing IMO is to have the air drawn through as much of the rad as possible.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:31 PM
BF Veteran

Exactly. I guess il go ahead and go with the Taurus fans. I guess if the alternator goes out or cant handle it il upgrade it.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:01 PM
BF Veteran

You can always upgrade to the GM AD244 alternator. S10 forum has a write-up about it.
How To: High Output AD244 Alternator for ~$80 - S-10 Forum
Or like I mentioned, get the shroud & put the fans you wannt in it.
Google around to see more on the AD244

<edit> Just googled around myself & saw our own blazerforum has a write-up from ImScrewed92
https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...ow-pics-45964/
This one is for a 1st gen too! The other was for a 2nd gen

Last edited by Rottidog; 06-15-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:47 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Just curious:
What are the advantages of an electric fan? If the clutch fan is working properly there is very little draw on the engine. but when the air coming throught the radiator gets hot enough, it engages and pulls the needed air. I cant imagine an electric fan being any more efficient than that.

What am i missing?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:28 PM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road

kristoph30, The advantage of having an e-fan setup would be the fact that they work independently of the engine speed. On my return trip home from New Jersey to Connecticut yesterday, my truck was overheating. A/C was shut off (windows opened!!!) It was the combination of 95 degree weather, bumper to bumper traffic moving at 5 mph AT THE MOST for about 2 hours, etc. My fan wasn't engaging because I wasn't moving. My truck overheated multiple times, I burned off the excess antifreeze that was in my reserve, and by the time I got off the highway, to an Autozone for some Dexcool, it was already too late (MY F****** RADIATOR CRACKED!) I bought two gallons, and limped home.

If I had the E-Fan (which was on my list of future mods), the fan would have kicked in and blown at full speeds, even at engine idle. My truck would have been cooled sufficiently, and I could have even employed my A/C without worry of overheating my engine.

Other than that scenerio, I don't see any other good that comes of E-fans, other than the obvious...no more engine lag from the clutch fan activation, maybe 1/2 a horsepower, and quicker engine heating/cooling. If you live in a cooler climate, and don't travel in gridlock, then your stock fan should do you fine...if you have to replace your radiator after losing $650 in Atlantic City, look into an E-Fan

Old 07-11-2011, 02:10 PM
BF Veteran

"My fan wasn't engaging because I wasn't moving." ??? That's not right, a stock clutch fan should always be turning & as the engine heats up the clutch engages so it turns with the engine speed.
A properly working stock fan assembly with a complete (top & bottom) shroud should keep the engine safe. 95F is pretty warm & the lack of forward movement would have made it run warmer but it shouldn't have overheated.