Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4.3L Vortec Getting a Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 10:33 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tom A
I almost feel like I cheated when I replaced my engine, lol. I have nothing but respect for anybody who does it outside in the cold.

I see two things there. You used the rafters and insulation. Ok so maybe you had some help from that monster welded frame. Nice set up.

George

Old 01-28-2022, 10:36 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Close. It's actually a gantry crane. But you're right about the insulation. And what you can't see is the heater.

Sorry, now I'm just rubbing it in. We return to our regularly scheduled programming...

Old 01-28-2022, 11:08 AM
BF Veteran

Close. It's actually a gantry crane. But you're right about the insulation. And what you can't see is the heater.

Sorry, now I'm just rubbing it in. We return to our regularly scheduled programming...
So there is a horizontal i beam above and you were able to move the engine forward of the truck after lifting?

George

Old 01-28-2022, 11:16 AM
BF Veteran

Yup. The whole thing is on wheels.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:45 AM
BF Veteran

Yup. The whole thing is on wheels.
That is cheating.

I am now going to unhijack this thread. As my late father used to say often: “quit goofin’ off and get back to work”.

George

Old 01-28-2022, 04:24 PM
reway is on a distinguished road

Okay thanks for explaining this Les, having never pulled an engine I wasn't quite sure how that part would work. I have the tranny lines fully removed from the truck so I don't have to worry about them, I have checked a few times now for anything I'm missing and I think I have it all, but I guess I will see when I start pulling it. The hoist is ready for me to go pick up now finally so hopefully, I can go get it today or tomorrow and get to work! I got the leveler hooked up to the engine this morning, I needed to choke up the chain on the intake side because I'm pulling from so much further down on the passenger side. I don't like all those washers on the intake bolts so I'm just going to cut the bolts down to size for when I'm actually pulling it. Tom, that setup would make taking the engine out so easy!! I wish I had something like that now lol. I gotta say it, I love the blazer too.

Old 01-28-2022, 04:30 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks! Sorry about the thread hijack.

I know you have the leveler, and I'm sure you want to use it, but it looks like it's going to cost you an awful lot of lift height compared to just putting a chain diagonally across the top of the engine and lifting from that. I normally use the bolt hole in the rear passenger side of the head and the corresponding one in the driver's side front to attach the chain. If what you're doing works, that's cool. But if you aren't able to lift it high enough, you may want to rethink that thing.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:11 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

I use a cheapo $150 foldup engine hoist from warehouse discount store. This setup made it (barely) into my stock height 4wd Blazer so if you can cut out 6" of distance from the hoist arm to the engine you should be OK.

If you end up wanting additional attachment points for whatever reason and to balance, you could put the head back on with a few head bolts and attach chain to the head.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-29-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:51 AM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

What are these engine hoists you all speak of? I've always used a tractor or forklift lol.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:07 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Hess13x
What are these engine hoists you all speak of? I've always used a tractor or forklift lol.
I've done that plenty of times too, lol. My personal favorite is a backhoe. No worries about getting enough lift height with that.

Quick Reply: 4.3L Vortec Getting a Rebuild