Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4.3L Vortec Getting a Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 12:30 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

There is another option:

George

Old 01-29-2022, 03:54 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

They're gonna need a few more beers before they put it back in.

Old 01-29-2022, 03:56 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tom A
Close. It's actually a gantry crane. But you're right about the insulation. And what you can't see is the heater.

Sorry, now I'm just rubbing it in. We return to our regularly scheduled programming...
Tom, I'm particularly jealous of that parts washer!

Old 01-29-2022, 04:01 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Reminds me of shop class in 1969.

George

Old 01-29-2022, 05:04 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Don't tell anybody, but it has REAL parts cleaning solvent in it, too. None of that water-based crap.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:57 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom A
Don't tell anybody, but it has REAL parts cleaning solvent in it, too. None of that water-based crap.
That smell brings back more memories from the 60's

George

Old 01-31-2022, 08:05 PM
reway is on a distinguished road

Guys, today was the big day... At last, I got the engine hoist and pulled the engine. My setup was pretty much the same as that picture with the leveler above, I had to use all those washers on the intake bolts as well because when I cut one down to size it would still only thread in the same amount... The only difference was I shortened the chains on it even more so the leveler was as close to the engine as possible. Getting the tranny and engine apart was the hardest part! But a little prying and it came free, then it was just lifting the engine straight up and out pretty much, luckily the hoist lifted the engine high enough so I didn't have to do anything but slide it back and out. After I had it out of the truck my impact made quick work of the flexplate bolts so I could put it on the stand. I could only get three arms of the stand attached to it of the four there are, seems to be sturdy though so I'm not too worried. So... When I started lifting the engine I noticed the engine mounts stayed down and the engine was lifting up, yup sure enough not one but BOTH of the engine mounts were broken. Well... Interesting. I confirmed the rear main seal is leaking. I'll pull the driverside head next, it's just so much easier working inside with the engine on a stand now!

Old 01-31-2022, 08:09 PM
BF Veteran

Nice! Glad to hear it went pretty smoothly. Broken motor mounts on these things are pretty normal. This is a good time to upgrade to Energy Suspension mounts, if you're so inclined.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:28 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Congrats!! Good work!! Yep broken mounts are common with this V6. Has to do with the way you balance a 90 degree V6. Note they even incorporated a balance shaft above the cam to help with balance. This might be a topic interesting to a mechanical engineer!! You can find out about balancing on this V6 rotating assembly through Google searches.

PS wire the torque converter in place before you try to move the vehicle around. Couple of wood blocks in front with wire across between bellhousing bolts. Don't want it to fall out!

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-01-2022 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:39 PM
reway is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, so much stress is relieved now that it's out! I'll definitely get the energy suspension mounts I got that brand of body mounts and they do good. That makes some sense Les, that is interesting I will have to check out more about that. Talking about moving the vehicle around, I wanted to move it this morning before I pulled the engine just so I could get a better angle with the hoist and it would have made it easier to slide it out after. Well, the truck ate my key, and I found out that it won't even let me shift out of park unless it has power? I just left the key in there for now I'm sure it will just come out once I have the battery connected again? I will make sure to wire the torque converter in place though I definitely forgot that it's just sitting there right now! I'm looking to get the driverside head off tonight and pop all the exhaust valves out, I popped the two out that were left on the passenger side head, cylinder 2 was good all around but cylinder 4 was sticking too, not as bad as cylinder 6 but nevertheless, it was sticking.

Quick Reply: 4.3L Vortec Getting a Rebuild