Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4.3L Vortec Getting a Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 12:49 AM
reway is on a distinguished road

Okay sounds good thanks a lot Les, I made plans to get a cherry picker for Wednesday or Thursday this week so I'm getting ready to pull it now! From what I see I have the tranny and oil cooler lines, starter, tranny bolts, engine mounts, rad, the bolt for the fuel lines on the head, then I should be ready to pull it. Hopefully, I can get a lot knocked out tomorrow. The picture of the head was to show where the valve dinged the seal after being bent, I haven't used any lapping compound on the valves yet. Hess, I'm not inclined to do this for a few reasons, I want this thing back on the road as soon as I can, and the cost, if I were to go through and do all that work it will probably cost around the same as getting a new engine from the dealer with a warranty.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:50 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by reway
Okay sounds good thanks a lot Les, I made plans to get a cherry picker for Wednesday or Thursday this week so I'm getting ready to pull it now! From what I see I have the tranny and oil cooler lines, starter, tranny bolts, engine mounts, rad, the bolt for the fuel lines on the head, then I should be ready to pull it. Hopefully, I can get a lot knocked out tomorrow. The picture of the head was to show where the valve dinged the seal after being bent, I haven't used any lapping compound on the valves yet. Hess, I'm not inclined to do this for a few reasons, I want this thing back on the road as soon as I can, and the cost, if I were to go through and do all that work it will probably cost around the same as getting a new engine from the dealer with a warranty.
Just a quick message to say Good Luck and that I'm rooting for you!

Old 01-25-2022, 05:14 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

I just cant imagine pulling the engine outside in Canada during January!! But I think this one is going to be a success story! Its so refreshing to work with someone who listens, understands, and provides specific detailed answers to questions!! Good job!

Dont forget torque converter bolts.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-25-2022 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:05 AM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Reway i completely understand. Back when I was a broke and struggling newly wed with 2 young girls we had one vehicle. My lifted 82 k10. It served as daily transportation during the week and my weekend off roader. Many times I could be found underneath it pulling the oil pan and changing out a rod bearing or two lol.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:27 PM

Thank you for the kind words guys! Wow, I really saved all the greasiest work for last! Getting those tranny cooler lines out from the tranny?? I spent so long with that until I just went in from above since I have the head off that side and it was easy to reach down, but without the head off, I would have been there forever! This takes me to the fuel line bolt, what an engineering marvel, I ended up getting that from under the truck reaching up with a wrench. Then the bell housing bolts... Once I figured out what size the bolt was the two top bolts came out easy peasy, I could even get a socket on the pass side bolt from the top. I guess that body lift paid off for me! It was starting to take a long time working at the bolt that holds the oil cooler lines to the engine so I'm thinking I will just pull the engine with those still attached and have someone hold them on the way out. So... Now looking at it I just have the motor mounts, bottom bell housing bolts, and torque converter bolts. I'm a bit confused about what to do for the torque converter bolts, I'm supposed to get them through the starter hole? Also, I should be in park when I do this? It also says to mark the flywheel to torque converter relationship, what does it mean by this?

Old 01-25-2022, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by reway
Thank you for the kind words guys! Wow, I really saved all the greasiest work for last! Getting those tranny cooler lines out from the tranny?? I spent so long with that until I just went in from above since I have the head off that side and it was easy to reach down, but without the head off, I would have been there forever! This takes me to the fuel line bolt, what an engineering marvel, I ended up getting that from under the truck reaching up with a wrench. Then the bell housing bolts... Once I figured out what size the bolt was the two top bolts came out easy peasy, I could even get a socket on the pass side bolt from the top. I guess that body lift paid off for me! It was starting to take a long time working at the bolt that holds the oil cooler lines to the engine so I'm thinking I will just pull the engine with those still attached and have someone hold them on the way out. So... Now looking at it I just have the motor mounts, bottom bell housing bolts, and torque converter bolts. I'm a bit confused about what to do for the torque converter bolts, I'm supposed to get them through the starter hole? Also, I should be in park when I do this? It also says to mark the flywheel to torque converter relationship, what does it mean by this?
Take the oil cooler lines loose up front at the oil filter adapter. You should get new seals along with your new replacement hose.

Use starter hole for access to the TC bolts. Doesn't matter about having it in park - TC turns with the engine crankshaft at all times.

If you want to mark the flex plate (flywheel is a clutch and manual trans thing) to TC orientation, just put a mark on both flex plate and converter so it bolts back together the same. Best place to do this would again be through the starter hole. Flex plate has 6 big holes in it, where any one of which you can scratch marks on both the converter and the flex plate with a screwdriver (to line back up when it goes back together).

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-26-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the clarification, wow that was a huge PITA!!! I started off with just myself and a deep socket on the bolts and the socket would also stop the flywheel from turning but there was just no way and I was risking rounding the bolts off because the socket would keep slipping off too, so I brought in a friend to hold the crank bolt and it still wasn't easy but we got all three after some working at it! I guess I never thought through taking out the engine either because I had a big wiring harness running right across the engine, I spoiled myself to some easy work getting that out of the way then called it a day. I ran into some delays getting the cherry picker but once I get that I should be ready for action! Also, I guess I can just wipe off the marks on my distributer now lol... That will be fun going back together.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:13 PM

Looks good! I usually remove the little cover in the bottom of the transmission bell housing and use a large screwdriver/pry bar to hold the flex plate in place while removing bolts. Then you can use the same to work the teeth to the next bolt on the flex plate.

Distributor will be super easy. Just ask when you are ready.

Old 01-27-2022, 04:18 PM

Thanks Les! Okay so I have thought of something that may be problematic here, the truck has a 2" body lift, 2.5" susp lift, and 31" tires. The cherry picker I'm going to be renting has a max height of 7 feet 2 inches, and with a leveler on that will come down even more... What do you guys think here? Will it clear? Or should I pop the front tires off and drop it down some?

Old 01-27-2022, 04:24 PM

I have no idea if it will clear. You may have to do something!

Quick Reply: 4.3L Vortec Getting a Rebuild