Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:12 PM
89s10BLAZER4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default engine swap

will the motor of a 96 s10 vortec v6 4.3 fit into an 89 s10 blazer 4.3

Old 10-30-2009, 09:52 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

not on a direct swap. the whole engine management is different, wiring harness, etc.
why do you want to swap your engine? what engine is in your Blazer right now, the Z or W code?

Old 10-31-2009, 06:49 AM

its got the 4.3 that comes stock not sure if its z or w its a 4x4 auto i dont want to swap but the motor in the 89 locked up and its junk now i was able to get hold of a running 96 s10 with massive body damage for a fair price

Old 10-31-2009, 08:28 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

if you have a donor truck then that's different. but first question, is the S10 a 4x4? 'cause the oil pan is different, and on the newer 4.3's it's aluminum (i'm not sure you can put a tin on on the newer engines). and as for the 4WD, if it's not then you're gonna have issues with the trans as well.

since you don't even know what engine is in your current truck, you don't sound like you'd want to take on a project like this-i'm not saying you shouldn't, it just sounds like it'll be a big job for you.
it's really easy (visually) to tell which engine is in your '89. if you have a throttle body (TBI) then you'll have a round metal air cleaner sitting on top of what looks like a carb (throttle body), this is the "Z" code engine.
if you look @ the top of the engine, and see a plastic cover (silver, also, i've seen black as well) that says "VORTEC" in orange, then it'll be the "W" code Vortec. your engine looks like it has a tune port style intake (like in the older IROC's & Vette's).

why not try to find and engine from a '94 and older Blazer/Jimmy (last year for the 1st gen's), since these will be a dirrect bolt in. these engine's can be swapped from 2WD to 4WD, just change the oil pump as well as the oil pan.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 AM

the s10 is a 4x4 and its manual i am keeping my trans in it and i also have my dad who has been a mech for 25 years and brother who is a state champ in auto repair contests helpin me if i could find a late model truck close for the same price i would but this is my only option the only reason i dont know if its a z or w code is because the truck is stored in a different location from my house at the moment its throttle body so is the 96 motor

Old 10-31-2009, 03:48 PM
BF Guru

brother, you have to start using proper grammer. it's so much easier to read.

if you have your ownership or insurance paper handy, look @ the 8th digit of the VIN, this will tell you what engine is in there.

since it sounds like you have a bunch of experts @ your disposal, i'm not sure why you're asking us. if you're asking what needs to be done 'cause you've never attempted something like this, then that's different, but it sounds like you have enough help there.

in no particular order, here's what you need to do;
-check to see if the flywheel from your '89 has the same bolt pattern as the '96. i've never swapped between gen's before, so i'm not 100% if they screwed with this or not.
-you'll need to get some diagrams for the wiring harness to properly marry the two together.
-find a spot under the hood for the new computer & fuse panel.
-while you're at it, also look into the ECM to see if the lock up for the trans will screw with the speedo or SES light, since your truck is stick.
-also see if the speed sensor for your '89 is compatable with the '96 system (will it read correctly?)
***- im' not positive, but i beleive the newer Vortec engine have a higher fuel operating pressure required, so you may need to up grade your pump. check into this as well.
-i can tell you for sure that the pin for the reverse lights (@ the firewall connector) is in a different spot, same block, just a different location. i had to swap the harness in my '92 due to some hack repair from the original owner, and only had an automatic parts truck that still had the complete exterior wiring harness in it to swap in.

i'm sure there are probably some other little things i've forgotten of the top of my head, but this is probably the major stuff you'd be looking at.