Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Eninge hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Beginning Member
92blazer92 is on a distinguished road

I have a 92 s10 blazer 4.3 Tbi, I found out that my truck was running on only 5 cylinders, there was a spark leak from the wire at the distributor, it ran like this for over 200 miles, I thought it was bad gas and ran it out of gas, found out what it really was, still running crappy only a little better with a new wire on, everything tune up wise is new, before the problem. Didnt check the plug, so I think it might be foiled, is this a possibility? Also oil is leaking on the same plug, i think from the oil dipstcik, but no oil was in the wire connecting to the plug, could the oil leak be caused by the cylider missing? Now I got a emissions rating: HC at 2186 and should be 220, and CO at 1.82 should be 1.20? HELP

I should mention that the truck bogs down when I accelerate from a stop position, this was a problem before the big issue and am still trying to figure the bog problem out as well. I think the boging might be due to a parcially clogged cat convertor, or the Tbi needing to be rebuilt, so I guess i have more then one question. Please help me!!

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-06-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the EDIT function to add additional inforamtion to your post if another member has yet to reply. Consecutive Posting is prohibited by the rules of the forum.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Qumodo is on a distinguished road

first off lets address the bogging issue, when was the last time the fuel filter was replace? if you cant remember or if you've never done it then start there. i also had a bogging issue on my 89' and the filter was almost fully clogged. after the new filter the bogging has greatly decreased.

the oil on the plug could either be the valve cover gasket leaking or something as simple as a little oil spillage.

if i were you id start simple, go to your parts store buy yourself a new fuel filter and some seafoam. run the seafoam through your TBI to clean your pistons lifter etc. make sure to distribute down both sides of the TBI, once you open it you'll see what im talking about.

this should get you off to a good start. keep us posted.

also has your 6th cylinder started firing again?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Beginning Member

I will change out the filter and pull the plug tomorrow, I work 3rd shift and woke up a little late today, and it was already dark out and cold. We'll see whats happens then.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Beginning Member
juddkennedy is on a distinguished road

did you fix it? I have the same problems. Engine lite on with P0172, P0175, P0300

Old 01-08-2010, 04:25 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

juddkennedy,
You started a thread concerning this issue and I replied to it. Have yoyu used the link I provided and read the articles we have concerning these codes?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Qumodo is on a distinguished road

92Blazer have you had a chance to replace those parts?

Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry I haven't replied since the post. Anyway, I did figure out why it was firing on 5 cylinders. There was a wire disconnected from the plug. So I was retarded apparently. So that fixed a small amount of the problem, and I was able to pass emission just slightly, my HC was still to high at idle, but at 1200 it was under regulation, thanks motor vehicle guy. I replaced the fuel filter and thought the problem was fixed i drove it for 2 hours with no bogging, but then last night it started acting like it did before i changed the fuel filter. So I am thinking the bogging issue is due to an O2 sensor issue because of what it read for HC and that it eventually corrects itself and goes, also maybe and egr valve and temp sensor since the temp sensor only reads 130 as the high, ever, and this all intertwines with the O2 sensors. What do you guys think?

Last edited by 92blazer92; 01-11-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Beginning Member

Ok so I have now cleaned the TBI changed the O2 changed the MAP sensor and the truck still runs like crap. It boogs out and I noticed it even will miss sometimes when I give it gas in 2nd gear. I need help please someone.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:33 AM
syntheticexctasy is on a distinguished road

I actually just joined this forum because of this post. I just bought a 89 S-10 tahoe that I'm trying to eliminate the same issue from. I have replaced plugs, wires (horrible shape, leaking), air filter, coolant temperature switch AND sender, fuel filter (again, terrible shape, couldn't even blow air through it), cap, rotor, O2 sensor, and catalytic converter (was plugged up due to bad O2 apparently). My next course of action will probably be to replace the distributor's guts, since it feels to me like a spark advance issue. Feels like while the truck is bogging, the timing may be retarding too far or at the wrong time. Perhaps MAP sensor?

Same symptoms, 4.3 TBI, from zero throttle until about half, it hesitates, and occasionally sputters when WARM. When the engine is cold, it operates wonderfully.

Last edited by syntheticexctasy; 01-25-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: wrong year
Old 01-26-2010, 02:23 AM
Beginning Member

Did all that except the cat, I will do that soon though, but when oi ran it through emissions it was ok so taking my time with that. 9hanged the MAP the other day but ran into a new issue intake is leaking coolant into cylider so it might be running crappy because of that now, once I replace that I will let you know how its running. I cleaned out the valve covers and there was so much caked up old slug in there.