Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Help with Trans Rear Seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:07 PM
followme21 is on a distinguished road
Default Help with Trans Rear Seal

How in he world does a person change the rear output shaft seal in a 1997 Jimmy 4whl drive?? I have the 6-8 inch think piece that bolts on to the rear of the trans (held on by 5 bolts) off. But I see no way to get in there to get that seal out...I cant really even see a seal.. I'm not familar with these vehicles just helping a buddy out. Any help would be great,
The problem is the vehicle is dripping a little fluid from between the tranfer case and the trans...read that its probably this seal. The transfer case was overfull as well.
Thanks

Old 08-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You don't. It doesn't exist. The seal you need to replace is in the front of the transfer case. Then seal up the mating surfaces with some RTV after cleaning everything up really well.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:18 PM

Thats kind of what I though, as I couldnt find a seal to purchase anywhere... but there seems to be some confussion by myself.. and othes I have read on other message boards. Why was the transfer case overfull. Some say factory does it. Others say it leaking in from the transmission..Like I said these vehicles are new to me so Im trying to fiqure things out..
Thanks again.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 AM

So if I understand everything correctly when the transfer case and the transmission are connected the transfercase front seal also acts as the transmission rear seal as well? That could explain why the transfer case was overfull? Is this what goes on in these vehicles?
Thanks

Old 08-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Precisely.