Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

I might have an oil leak...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Starting Member
JTalley is on a distinguished road
Default I might have an oil leak...

Today I got into an accident. You know how there are steel cables coming down from some telephone poles? Well... I kinda drove up one at a little over 15 mph. I flew up with the cable in the middle of the car, and then when it came to rest, it slid to the left side of the car. It almost rolled, but just as it was about to tip, the cable snapped and the car fell to the ground. The back wheels were still on the ground, and the front wheels were about three feet high. Of course, the lines apparently bumped together and there was an explosion, but I was able to drive the car away. I inspected it, and the damage seems to be the bumper is bent right in the middle, and the front axle guard is scratched a little. The oil pan guard doesn't appear scratched, but there is a little oil dripping from it. This wreck happened this morning, and it's 4:33 right now, but it doesn't seem to be that low on oil. I got down and looked, and most of the oil there looks like it has been there for some time. How can I know if I have an oil leak or not?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:06 PM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

Park it overnight and see if theres oil on the ground?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:14 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Seriously?

I mean...

seriously?!?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Starting Member
Default Oil leak after high tension cable snapped underneath

I looked at the drainage bolt (forgot what it's called), and it doesn't seem to be coming from there. The oil pressure seems to be normal. Where could it be coming from, and how can I fix it?

Last edited by JTalley; 10-06-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Id check the oil lines and oil cooler/filter connections. Its more likely one of the hoses got jarred than impact on the oil pan causing a leak.

Glad your ok! What kind of cable was it?

Old 10-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Merging duplicate threads* - Please refrain from posting the same information/question in multiple threads.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
*Merging duplicate threads* - Please refrain from posting the same information/question in multiple threads.
Actually, those were different things... The first thread was about whether or not I had an oil leak, the second one was upon confirmation that I had an oil leak and I wanted to know how to fix it.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Same topic... Oil leak. It is just easier/cleaner to keep everything together.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:53 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

did the radiator get damaged? moved?