Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Leaking freon

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:50 PM
AutomagicLS1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaking freon

Well ive been putting this off for awhile but a long time ago I had a nightmare with my thermostat housing a bolt broke blah blah had to fix it. Everything is still well. Anyway that night I noticed a hissing sound and bubbling coming from the sensor that plugs into the back of theAC compressor. Not good well now that its warm outside my AC obviously does not work. Has anyone heard of this? I'm thinking about getting a new compressor or shooting a can of freon into it again and tring to figure out exactly where its leaking but it was coming out by that sensor.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:52 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Leaking freon

Have you tried tightening the sensor? It's probably a high pressure cut-out switch that has an "o" ring seal that is leaking.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:00 PM

I'll try tightening it but the compressor wont even come on. I checked connections,fuses everything is ok. I bought a huge can of freon but wouldnt the compressor have to be on to put it in? Or would it go in to create enough pressure to get the compressor to come on?

Old 03-25-2007, 07:41 PM

Update had a friend pull the freon out that I put in and did a leakdown it didnt seem to leak at all so im confused. The reason the compressor wouldnt come on there is a sensor that plugs into I think its the receiver dryer and it was corroded. Sprayed some contact cleaner on the plug and the sensor it goes into compressor works just fine. I dont know what happend but it works perfect now

Old 03-25-2007, 07:53 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Sweet, gotta love having friends!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Starting Member
kerander is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had the same problem. Here's what happens. There's not a good seal between that pressure cutoff sensor (tells compressor not to start in case of lack of pressure - cause there wouldn't be any way for the oil to recirculate,the compressor would bite it) and the connector. You can wrap some plastic (think saran wrap) around it, then some tape to serve as a moisture barrier. When the system is running that accumulator gets cold and water condenses on it. If the area between the connecotr and switch isn't tight then water condenses in there and corrodes them. Or you could just put a short/jump in on the connector and tape it up and the system would always run.