Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

New 97 4X4 4DR Jimmy, bad engine options

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:01 PM
jimmyeatworld is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: New 97 4X4 4DR Jimmy, bad engine options

Sorry for the delay. Wife went in for emergency surgerySunday morningbut all is well now.

My buddy just towed in another blazer with a motor build on the menu, so I'll try to do more pics of that motor buildsince I wont be so rushed for it.

Engine is still sitting waiting for me. I'll have 3 bodies helping me toss it together on Saturday, so I should be on the road pretty early. We arent leaving until Thursday night, so it gives me a few days to break in the motor and trans before I get on the road. We've had to alter our plans to make sure my wife gets breaks to walk around every four hours, but it still will be worth the trip.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:09 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear see is doing well.

Sounds like a plan.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:09 AM

Well, she lives. Sort of. Runs smooth as glass at idle.

Took her out for a spin Saturday and it feels like I am towing a boat and I can't go over 1/4 pedal without it falling flat. So she is going back in to have the backpressure and fuel pressure checked. Sounds like a clogged cat though, hearing a loud clumpy sound under the truck.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:06 PM

Follow up.
My problem ended up being the MAF sensor Drives like a champ!

I also installed a new set of shocks this week, and a Dynomax catback. I have a nasty clacking on acceleration when the engine is under load. Small steady rythmic sound at idle. Checked everything on the top end and found it to be coming from under the truck, starter side. After getting it on the lift yesterday, it seems I have a warped flexplate as the noise seems to happen exactly when the wobble goes near the starter. I pulled the trans back to change the flexplate and found out the one I had was the wrong pattern, so I put it back together so I could drive to work this morning. Noise is now even worse, so I'm almost certain that is the problem.

If not I wasted a whopping 35 bucks and need to keep digging. My replacement came in today, so I may see about getting it swapped this weekend and report back. I would have never thought a flex plate that hd no visible signs of damage would make noises like that. A few weeks ago we started up my buddies 66 Chevelle and it was making noises like it was about to throw a rod. He swapped flexplates and noise was gone. Nothing visibly wrong with it aside from the bolt holes marred from the bolts. Had me convinced once I saw the wobble on mine, I must have bent it when I tightened the converter bolts.