Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

NO CRANK, NO CLICK. Starter tests GOOD.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 09:50 AM
Beginning Member
dirtdog is on a distinguished road
Default NO CRANK, NO CLICK. Starter tests GOOD.

HI, All. Thanks in advance for any advice or help given. I have been struggling with a very weird issue on my 01 s10 blazer 4x4 for almost a year now. I have replaced the ignition switch, starter relay, battery and had the starter tested at my local auto parts store, tested out good. Starter is fairly new as well. It will not crank over with the key. When turning the key over everything turns on normally. Fuel Pump, gauge cluster, and the lights but as soon as you turn the key over to crank it over. Everything goes black and nothing happens, not so much as a click. Whats weird is if I put the key to the on position and jumper it at the starter relay it cranks over and starts right up, thats why I ended up swapping the ignition switch, but no success. Lately I have been wondering if its possibly the neutral safety switch, but from what I have read on here and online the symptoms dont exactly match up. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I should proceed with testing and or replacing parts?

thanks

Old 10-02-2018, 11:35 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Here's the schematic. Study it and then ask any questions that you may have. You have a couple of fuses, a neutral safety switch, and a starter relay in the way of getting power on that purple wire at the starter solenoid. All you need is a test light, a few minutes, and a buddy to turn the key.

Attached Thumbnails NO CRANK, NO CLICK. Starter tests GOOD.-startingsystem.gif  

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-02-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Beginning Member

Thank you much. I will report back with what I find out. The poor blazer has been sitting in the garage for nearly a year. Cant wait to get it on the road again.

Last edited by dirtdog; 10-02-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:13 PM
Beginning Member

Just a quick update! So, after 1.5 years of the blazer sitting in the garage, a new starter, a new battery, a new ignition switch, a new starter relay, a new neutral safety switch and hours of troubleshooting. I finally figured out my "no crank, no start" issue!! Some of the wires coming from the neutral safety switch were resting on the front drive shaft. It had ground through the conduit and into the wires. Feels good to have the blazer back on the road!

Old 03-29-2024, 05:13 PM
Starting Member
Clarkieboy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dirtdog
HI, All. Thanks in advance for any advice or help given. I have been struggling with a very weird issue on my 01 s10 blazer 4x4 for almost a year now. I have replaced the ignition switch, starter relay, battery and had the starter tested at my local auto parts store, tested out good. Starter is fairly new as well. It will not crank over with the key. When turning the key over everything turns on normally. Fuel Pump, gauge cluster, and the lights but as soon as you turn the key over to crank it over. Everything goes black and nothing happens, not so much as a click. Whats weird is if I put the key to the on position and jumper it at the starter relay it cranks over and starts right up, thats why I ended up swapping the ignition switch, but no success. Lately I have been wondering if its possibly the neutral safety switch, but from what I have read on here and online the symptoms dont exactly match up. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I should proceed with testing and or replacing parts?

thanks
Mines doing to same exact thing ,did you figure out the key switch thing yet,I sure wanna know how to fix that

Old 04-01-2024, 09:18 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Clarkieboy
Mines doing to same exact thing ,did you figure out the key switch thing yet,I sure wanna know how to fix that
If you start a new thread describing your problem then we can help you.

George