Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Poor around town fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Poor around town fuel mileage

This is what happens when someone jumps into a thread and hijacks it. Sorry about that.

Portcqb, please restrict your comments/questions to the problem at hand. You have already torn this thread WAY off topic once, do not do it again.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:48 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: sccadsr31
I have had trouble with sludge in cooling system and have had to replace on rusted out expansion plug above the starter. The cooling system, more specifically the heater core gurgles from time to time.
Does your heat work or does it seem like its plugged? I'm guessing to get bubbles out of the core you would need to flush it out. It seems like it should get out on its own though.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:02 PM
sccadsr31 is an unknown quantity at this point

The heater seems to work fine, the air conditioning just stopped working but I figure that is just old age and it is one of the only things I cannot do myself. Anyone know a good air conditioning shop in San Jose?
The gurgling has surprised, in that I cannot get it to stop. I cannot remember ever changing the heater core or flushing it. I’ll try the flush as soon as I get a chance, along with doing the trouble shooting for the AC.
Again today the car seems to be running better around town, better acceleration and easy starting. Regardless of the out come I’m already convinced that pulling all the sensors periodically and cleaning them is a good idea. I also drive a 2001 ¾ ton 4WD Suburban with 110k and think maybe I’ll clean the sensors on it as well.
For the next 2 weeks I’ll be doing a 90 mile drive twice a day so the minor mileage driving around town will not tell me anything.

As with the racing forum I belong to the help here is so impressive. People just helping each other, makes you feel really good.
David
95’ 2WD Blazer

Old 04-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Starting Member
Rp9110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe try some seafoam? I've heard really good things about it and among many other things its supposed to help with gas mileage. http://www.seafoamsales.com/