Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tofunater needs a new tranny :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010 | 03:35 PM
|
Beginning Member
tofunater is on a distinguished road
Default Tofunater needs a new tranny :(

So I was driving up to chicago earlier this week and my service engine soon light came on. I figured it was the rear o2 sensor thats been givin me trouble for 2 years now. But I went and got the light checked today, turns out its a transmission slip warning. My tranny's been dieing a slow painful death for the last 6 months, but I've just had no money to fix it. I start working again next week since school is gonna be over, but I need some advice.

I'm very mechanically inclined and I'm very quickly learning a lot about my car, and how it works. I really wanna do the tranny rebuild myself and I have access to an old transmission shop and pit. However, all I ever seem to see about rebuilding a tranny is that its too hard, and that you should just have it done by a shop. I found the guide on here on how to remove a tranny, but once again, nothing about how to rebuild it. Can anyone point me in the direction of 4l60e transmission schematics, and maybe some pictures? Anything would be helpful. Thank you.

Old 04-30-2010 | 05:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will want to purchase the ATSM manuals if you want to attempt this. Read through them the whole way through. There are also some good videos documenting the process out there that can be purchased.

There are A LOT of ways to screw up and you may want to try to find someone who has experience with the 4L60E and see if you can have him/her help you through it.

The sad part is that you might have been able to fix the issue before it got so bad that it took out the clutches.

P1870 - Transmission Component Slipping

Old 04-30-2010 | 06:17 PM
|
Beginning Member
Old 04-30-2010 | 07:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I meant ATSG. I was typing up a work email at about the same time as I was responding to your post and I had to quote some ASTM standards. My fingers got ahead of my brain.

Those all look good. I have to wonder if you need everything in that rebuild kit, but it is quite comprehensive.

Old 05-01-2010 | 08:28 AM
|
Beginning Member

No problem, I kind of figured you jumbled with ASTM.

I figured that while I'm doing this, I might as well do everything. The only thing I'm worried about is the torque converter. Does the kit allow you to rebuild that as well, or do I have to purchase one separately?

Again, thank you for your help.

Old 05-01-2010 | 09:58 AM
Administrator

Torque converters are not serviceable. So I would recommend getting a replacement.

Old 05-01-2010 | 10:35 AM
|
Beginning Member

I figured as much, looks like its time to do some learning.
If all goes well, I'll post up pics for you guys of the procedure.