Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

tranny cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:20 AM
Beginning Member
jonnyisback is on a distinguished road
Default tranny cooler

I have a 2000 blazer, 2wd with a 4.3l v6. It has 136k miles and i bought it about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I have changed oil, oil filter, air filter, pcv valve, t-stat, plugs and wires, i did a rad flush and filled with new dexcool, and set the tire pressure to the same pressure on all 4 tires. The only thing i need to do is change the tranny fluid and filter. My question is, i will be doing some routine towing about once a week, and i was wondering how i could tell if it has a tranny oil cooler or if i need to install one such as a supercooler to keep any problems from arising. I am hoping to keep my towing under 2000 pounds trailer weight but will most likely be around 1k. Thanks for any info.

I also bought this truck because my 1994 4x4 blazer was totaled after i was rearended in march. Also if theres any thing else i could check for preventative mant. Just let me know. Thanks

Last edited by jonnyisback; 05-31-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I install a transmission cooler on all of my vehicles regardless of whether I plan on towing with them or not. The B&M SuperCooler with its viscosity controlled bypass will not over cool the fluid so there is no worries about using it.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:17 PM
TomSawyer is on a distinguished road

You have a couple of options: First, look for tubing comming in/out for your radiator on the driver side, they will go to the transmission and or to the base of your oil filter. Most tow packages have an oil cooler and transmission cooler that will have tubbing going to and from the radiator. Your other option is to look up the vehicle VIN number, that will also show whether or not your truck has a tow package installed. Most of the Blazer's I have seen, with the 4.3, will have the tow package installed.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Buy fully synthetic tranny fluid when you do the flush. Synthetic fluid will hold up better to the heat created by towing.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Oil cooler lines will be on the driver's side of the radiator, tranny cooler lines are on the passenger side of the radiator. Regardless, as stated above, install an external aux tranny cooler to be on the safe side.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Beginning Member
jonnyisback is on a distinguished road

I ended up installing a tranny cooler from haynes i think. Seems to work well. Im pretty sure my truck doesnt have towing package installed as no front hooks, no trailer hitch etc. The only other lines ive seen coming into the raid were on the passenger side so i just went ahead and used them. Late reply but thanks for the help.