Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

"D" or "OD"

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Beginning Member
k5bmr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chris015
if it drives good in drive,go for it. you will just have some crappy gas mileage. but some awesome throttle response. lol but if its stumbling in od, and its the carb,one day or another its gonna do it in drive....id start calling around some old corner carb shops and see about a carb rebuild.

Worst case scenario-in the event that a carb rebuild does not help, what else would I be looking at?

Old 11-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by chris015
if it drives good in drive,go for it. you will just have some crappy gas mileage. but some awesome throttle response.

Drives a whole heck of a lot better in drive. But you hit the nail on the head-gas mileage is ****ty!!! Went from 14.9 to 9.4-outstanding!!! Dear Santa-all I want is a new (or rebuilt) Rochester 4bbl...

Old 11-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have one of the ingenious electronic 4bbl carbs, the easiest solution would be to buy a used manual replacement without all the electronic stuff that likes to go bad and costs outrageous prices to replace, then rebuild it yourself. They aren't too bad to do and there are lots of resources on the net & in print to help you along the way.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If you have one of the ingenious electronic 4bbl carbs, the easiest solution would be to buy a used manual replacement without all the electronic stuff that likes to go bad and costs outrageous prices to replace, then rebuild it yourself. They aren't too bad to do and there are lots of resources on the net & in print to help you along the way.

10-4. Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna take it in and see if they can rebuild it. Question-can a previously rebuilt carb be rebuilt again???

Old 12-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Should be able to be rebuilt again.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Should be able to be rebuilt again.
Sounds good. Since we're down to only 2 vehicles, I'm looking to buy another rig to drive when this one is down. More than likely one WITHOUT a carb!!! Happy Holidays to one and all...

Old 12-22-2011, 09:41 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Mines not a similiar vehicle at all but I know when I'm towing against a wind or just recently my upper control arm cracked (previous owner straightened it & metal fatigue etc) -rolling resistance has a HUGE play in the trucks ability to stay in OD. Alignment, bearings, as mentioned torque converter & trans condition (slipping, fluid level/condition) all play roles in the transmissions ability to stay in OD.

<edit> Happy Holidays!