General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Airbag Fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 AM
mjs084 is on a distinguished road
Default Airbag Fault

G'day, i bought a 1999 LT Blazer in sydney Australia. The car was imported from Japan.
I decided to try a burnout in the car after a week of owning it.
It was all fun and games untill both driver and passeger airbags deployed.
I almost needed a change of undies and my passenger had a nice beer bottle bruise on his chest....
Any way has any body ever heard of this sort of thing happening before?
Or is it more likely a wiring fault? the car was not crashed or have any front end damage.
I found second hand airbags from a 2000 model. will they fit into a 1999 model.
Thanks very much.
from a stupid Aussie

Old 04-29-2010, 08:46 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I can honestly say I've never heard of that happening before, and I'm still laughing at your description.

I can't think of any reason why bags from a 2000 wouldn't fit your 99. SwartlKK will probably chime in and point you in the proper direction... he knows ALL.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is a first for me as well. We have to go through some extraneous measures to get them to blow during fire training.

It definitely sounds like you have a wiring fault somewhere in the car. I would not install new airbags until you get that figured out. You will need to find all of the air bag components and inspect them and their connections for corrosion.

The '00 air bags themselves should bolt right in and connect up just like the spent ones you currently have.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the responses, appreciate your help.
I will take the car to an auto electrician to look at the wiring, before i install new bags.
Ill still be scared that they will blow again...haha no more burn outs.
Thanks
mike

Old 05-11-2010, 04:19 AM

G'day again,
I now have the new airbags at home, i will be taking the car to auto electrician soon.
Just wondering does any body know exactly what i will have to replace.
Is it just a matter of finding the fault and installing new bags?
Or do i have to replace any thing else such as seat belt sensors, or computers or any thing else?.
I have an awful lot of trouble finding info on this car in Aus.
Thanks again.
Mike