General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

anyone instaled HID head lights on a blazer

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:10 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: anyone instaled HID head lights on a blazer

[:@]

Old 12-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

check your PM

Old 12-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Starting Member
jimbosv650 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: otnietdehoooo

those of you that have HID's, where did you put the ballasts at? mine are jsut laying in the engine compartment b/c i havent mounted them anywhere yet. the passengers sides is just laying b/w the battery and the horn and the drivers side is kinda just sitting near the air filter. theres plenty of space to mount one on the drivers side but i had a hard time looking for an open spot on the passenger side.

also, when i turn them on, they flash real bright and then get dim and then slowly get bright again. is that normal? my brothers do the same thing but do all of them do that

I dont have a camera with me but the ballasts just sit behind the turn signal lamps on mine. All HIDs require a short warm up time. The initialspark is at a higher voltage, thats why you notice the bright flash. Thats normal for all of them.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:37 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

i thought all HIDs did that but Dave said his dont

Old 12-13-2007, 01:44 PM
cain45 is an unknown quantity at this point

What kit did you buy? I'm looking for some but want to get a good kit.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:10 PM
BF Veteran

nj4x4 and drperry both have Pilot brand HIDs and i bought a cheapie no-name brand on ebay from a seller named "supervtec" theres another seller named "kickxtc" and i found his lights after i paid for mine and he uses GE bulbs. mine were $75 shipped and they came in a plain white box with no logos or anything. there are a couple places that sell a relay to draw the power directly from the battery instead of through the exisiting wiring. HIDs run at 35w compared to stock halogen 55w but HIDs need a very high voltage to first ignite (thats what the ballast is for) and some blazers dont have strong enough wiring to handle the initial power.

i had to buy the relay and it should be here saturday so hopefully the little bit of trouble i have been having will clear up.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:17 PM

Let me know, Please, how that relay works out. If it does I'd like to get a set too. If the $75 ones work ok then I'm not spending upwards of 200-300 for a different set. I mean HID's are HID's right? Or am I missing something?

Old 12-13-2007, 03:23 PM
BF Veteran

will do...

i have had a few problems but i dont think it is caused by the HIDs. sometimes just the passenger side light comes on. sometimes the flash SUPER SUPER bright at the beginning and they seem to get slightly dimmer as i use other electronic features, blinker, brakes, rolling up/down windows. i think by drawing power directly from the battery instead of going through the fuse box, that should solve problems.

unfortunately, i currently have my subwoofer disconnected so i dont know what effect they would cause on the lights

Old 12-13-2007, 03:31 PM

Do most kits come or offer the solution of wiring directly to your battery?

Old 12-13-2007, 03:54 PM
BF Veteran

no. most kits just swap in place of your old headlights.

with stock lights, headlight harness-------->lightbulb-------->headlight housing

HID kit, headlight harness-------->ballast----------| inline fuse |---------->HID lamp----------->headlight housing

im not exactly sure how the relay hooks up but from my understanding theresa relay where the existing wiring meets up with the new wiring from the battery and then goes into the ballast. nj4x4blaze is the onyl guy i know with the relay hooked up so he can prbably explain how it works better than i can

you can buy the relay on ebay but i bought mine from www.pilothid.com on ebay, just search "9006 HID relay"

Quick Reply: anyone instaled HID head lights on a blazer