General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Auto repair tip (more or less a rant...)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:42 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default Auto repair tip (more or less a rant...)

If you're unsure about what you're doing when trying to repair something on a vehicle, don't just take a guess and/or ghetto rig something up to work, ESPECIALLY when it comes to wiring...

I picked up an 04 Blazer knowing the AC compressor was locked up. On further inspection, it looks like it needed an intake gasket job. Upon tearing everything apart, I found a random wire spliced into the AC clutch plug, that ran up and spliced somewhere into the harness along the top of the firewall. I figured it probably had something to do with why the compressor was locked up... and after tracing the wire, I was right. Apparently, the previous owner thought it would be a good idea to splice into the wiring for the blower motor and use that to engage the AC clutch... bypassing both the low and high pressure switches. Guess there use to be a leak, the ran the thing low on freon, and in turn compressor oil, and low and behold since the thing didn't shut off because they bypassed the sensors, it locked up sold...

Well in the midst of the intake gasket repair, I also installed a brand new AC compressor, condensor, accumulator, all the lines, everything but the evaporator (which I thoroughly flushed). Fired it up, charged the system with fresh freon, and low and behold, the thing blows ice cold air, WITHOUT a ghetto jumper wire...

Luckily so far, that appears to be the only thing the previous owner attempted to repair

Old 05-18-2014, 11:55 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

It's amazing what you'll see when someone doesn't know why things are how they are.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:45 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

ain't that the truth... I work in an auto salvage yard and you wouldn't believe some of the crap I see. people trying to save a dollar doing more harm than good... or thinking they're being creative by wiring up something and completely destroying a car, like a 2010 Civic that came in last week that was immaculate accept the owner half-*** wired up some aftermarket fog lights and set the engine bay on fire...

Old 05-19-2014, 09:36 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I bought mine 800 and just about everything on it has been monkey rigged. All I can think of is ,,hey its Friday night ,just get it running and lets go party!

Old 05-21-2014, 02:24 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I bought my '94 Blazer (which now belongs to a good friend of mine) for $400 because the previous owner wasn't too bright and he hacked up a bunch of the wiring under the hood and in the dash because the starter was bad and he thought that by cutting a bunch of wires he could get it started. Even worse, though, was a '93 LeSabre I used to own where someone had hotwired the #1 fan to bypass the relay and computer. The reason the PO bypassed the normal fan control was because the coolant temp sensor in the intake manifold was bad and wouldn't tell the computer to turn on the fan. I replaced the sensor and removed the hacked wiring and the car worked properly.