General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

buy a 96' blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Starting Member
EstoyVeniendo is on a distinguished road
Exclamation buy a 96' blazer?

i'm a college student and my car broke down roughly 3 weeks ago. i'm looking for something around 1500-2000 dollars to get to and from class until i can save up some more cash.

should i buy a 96' blazer for $1700?

my major issue is that it has 202,xxx miles on it.
other than that it is in good condition and has no other issues that i know of (besides rear wiper stopped working roughly 3 months ago).

thanks

Old 04-22-2010, 09:15 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

that's a really hard question to answer.

is it............
- 2WD or 4WD?
- 2 door or 4?
- a base model truck or fully loaded?
- will it nead anything to be road worthy (ie; pass safety inspection).

how well do you know these trucks (1st or 2nd gen)? 'cause there are a lot of little "quirks" that a re common, but not really an issue, per say.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Starting Member
EstoyVeniendo is on a distinguished road

its a 4x4, 4 door. power everything, after market cd player.
air/heat work fine.
it has the optional tow package.
it drives fine (no noticeable squeaks, grinding, or creaking) no need of a safety inspection.

it has been well maintained. i basically need something cheap but reliable enough to last me a year or two while i save money and get through school.

i apologize i do not know a lot about blazers.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Well if you want to save money I'd stay away from a Blazer. Not because they're unreliable or crappy, but simply for gas mileage. Being a college student I imagine you do a fair amount of driving. The mileage is only going to be around 16-20mpg on a good day.
As much as I love the Blazers, someone if your situation I'd recommend sticking with a smaller car just to save on the horrendous gas bills you'd see with a blazer.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

boy did you nail that one Alex!

16 to 20 is a really good day. my '98 (which just rolled over 200K kilometers) is now only getting 14.5mpg in the warmer weather.

but hey, my first car was a '79 LeSabre 4 door with a Olds 350 Rocket.