General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Can I look up my VIN to see original motor specs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Beginning Member
bravada97nc is on a distinguished road
Question Can I look up my VIN to see original motor specs?

This sounds really dumb but I need to look up what kind of intake my Bravada had originally. We had someone put a motor in it after I threw a rod, and I got the replacement motor out of a C1500. Both were vortec 4.3s and everyone told me it would work. For some reason my former mechanic didnt switch the intake manifolds from the old motor to the new one, said it didnt matter. I know they were different but for the life of me cant remember what the old motor had that was different. THe 'new' 4.3 has fuel injection with the black plastic 'carb' looking piece in the middle, and I actually didnt think it was fuel injected because of that but have learned that it is.
Besides pulling the motor to go in my truck the last thing I did any real motor work on was a 75 Chevy 350. I really am ignorant when it comes to things like fuel injection and computers! So, I am wondering if I can look up the trucks VIN to see what type of intake it had originally - to take some guesswork out. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:49 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If the Bravada was a '97, it had the SCFI fuel injection system. The one with the spider delivering fuel to the poppets which feed into the cylinders. The two piece intake manifold has a composite upper with an aluminum lower.